Preserving seeds in honey

The real point was honey is/contains an anti bacterial and would help with cuttings.

It would therefore also act as a preservative. You never see anything growing on or in it, except bee's/bugs :greedy:

Don't know if seeds would remain viable as there are a lot of different hormones/chemicals/ingredients in honey that the seeds may absorb.

• Upvote 2

Hey Razzles,

Getting back to the actual question here, I have not heard of using honey for seed preservation. But there is documented evidence that oxygen slowly deteriorates the viability of seeds. Sealing the seed in honey would eliminate any chance of the air getting to the seed. It would also reduce the risk of airbourne parasite and fungal attacks. But the honey may attract and be tempting to other bugs and rodents. 

Here is some info that I found interesting. Might be useful for others. 

http://www.seedcontainers.net/a_guide_to_long-term_seed_preservation.html

Merl1n

• Upvote 1

Hey Razzles,

Getting back to the actual question here, I have not heard of using honey for seed preservation. But there is documented evidence that oxygen slowly deteriorates the viability of seeds. Sealing the seed in honey would eliminate any chance of the air getting to the seed. It would also reduce the risk of airbourne parasite and fungal attacks. But the honey may attract and be tempting to other bugs and rodents. 

Here is some info that I found interesting. Might be useful for others. 

http://www.seedcontainers.net/a_guide_to_long-term_seed_preservation.html

Merl1n

Hey Merlin, that was my theory..I've sealed about 10 in one of those little plastic containers that come from seed companies and put in in a dry/dark spot so I don't think bugs will be an issue. If seed banks start doing this I want a cut :P

Thanks for the link man

Don't forget about temperature/variations. A lower temp will help with long term viability.

A good seed bank will seal the seeds in their breeder packs/sachets in an airtight, preferably light resistant container and then refrigerate until required. :greedy:

yeh good call, I might pop them in the fridge 

Honey is used round here to preserve magic Mushies, stop them degrading due to oxygen after picked. I always pack me seeds, wrap em a few times and pop them in the butter keeper section of ya fridge in a jar, but haven't tried Honey.

Honey is interesting, but not sure if something anti-bacterial is good, but a few bagseed in some honey be a good experiment.

Peace. Nibbler.