Help With Smell

lol

I am having trouble with smell even though I think I have done every thing possible to eliminate it. The smell is not outside the house, just inside especially around the door of grow room, but if I shut doors and windows in house due to paranoia the smell wafts through the entire joint. Can't have visitors and god help me if a neighbour needs to borrow a cup of sugar.It's really starting to fuck me off. I have detailed my exhausting and inlet set up below, can any one find the flaw?

My grow space is about 1.5m x1.5m it is partitioned off with white plastic from ceiling to floor but is not airtight. It is a manmade plastic room inside a normal bedroom. Suspended from the ceiling I have 2 x 1m lengths of 300mm silver ducting running the length of the grow space. I have blocked the ends off with cardboard and cut large slits about every 7th rib in the ducting.I did this for even exhausting instead of tons of air just gushing into the ends. I then have a 300mm inline fan in BOTH pieces of ducting, then a short piece of 300mm duct that goes into a Y connector. The Y connector has a short piece of 300mm ducting which is then connected up to a carbon filter. The carbon filter is only a small one 600mm long x 350mm wide. The neck of the filter is only 250mm so I had to squish the 300mm duct down and around neck and secure with gaffa tape. I have also since fibreglassed over the gaffa tape to make sure it never accidentally comes off and blows air back into the room. The carbon filter is mounted in the roof, out of the room.Some people mount the filter above their plants and the filter is the first point of contact for exhausting air. Mine is the opposite and is last point of contact. I am been assured that filter can go on either end of exhaust set up.I am fairly sure smell is coming out of cracks around door. I have a 300mm inlet bringing fresh air in, and it's almost like there is too much air in room and it is being forced out the cracks around door. But how can that be possible when I have 2 inline fans exhausting and only 1 bringing in fresh air? CAN ANYONE HELP??

Also I think I am currently using a skunk strain. Is the smell 10 worse than a non skunk strain?

Edited by aussie1

Also I think I am currently using a skunk strain. Is the smell 10 worse than a non skunk strain?

They dont call it skunk for nothing, more like 100 times smellier.

There are a few different options, but first are you sure the smell isnt coming down throught the walls??

then you can mask the smell with something stronger smelling that can be left where it can be seen.

have you tried taking the cardboard out of the ducting?

is your carbon filter new? home made?

pulling air out is fine but you have to get air IN there for it to be taken out, and you using double the exaust to inlet fans? maybe this is a factor?

What are the walls doing? Is the plastic sucking inwards?

I personally use a Ozone Generator which is a fluro looking thing that makes ozone, this ozone is bad for your health but it destroys the MJ smell. Although its a bit tricky to set up, as it can make more smell than its covering. If your not careful.

Mine is mounted to the roof beam above the ceiling and directly above the fans.

ozone generator is the way to go, eliminates all odour,read the directions and ya cant go wrong.

Hospitals and the hospitality industry are using them so the health hazard thingy must be minimal.

From what ive seen the only people that complain about them are the people that dont have one.

Cheers

F 420 there is no cardboard in ducting to remove, the carbon filter is 9 months old, bought from hydro shop.Plastic is not sucking in, that would mean more air being sucked out of room than coming in.My problem is the opposite, too much air coming in - even though I have 2 x inlines exhausting and only 1 bringing in fresh air, I know this because the force of the air closes the door behind me. Does anyone think a centrifugal fan

attached directly to carbon filter as well as the 2 other inlines would help this.

Thoughts appreciated

By the way, I have heard that the ozone generators create a whole new smell problem that would be obvious to others in the know, is this just another myth?

Edited by aussie1

I have blocked the ends off with cardboard and cut large slits about every 7th rib in the ducting

umm this is cardboard I was referring too,

now im either stoned too bad or this doesnt make sense?-

My problem is the opposite, too much air coming in - even though I have 2 x inlines exhausting and only 1 bringing in fresh air, I know this because the force of the air closes the door behind me. Does anyone think a centrifugal fan

if the door is closing behind you, then its sucking too hard? if it were sucking in too much air it would be opening the door not shutting it?

Also how could 2 exhausts be less powerful than one inlet?

By the way, I have heard that the ozone generators create a whole new smell problem that would be obvious to others in the know, is this just another myth?

This is true- if you were to leave your ozone generator on all the time it would stink the house out alot worst.

But all you have to do is put it on a timer that is only on long enough to destroy the smells.

In my case I have found that for this stage of growth im currently on (check my grow link), that 15 mins every 6 hours leaves no smell of either the ozone or the weed.

I exhaust my room in to my ceiling and leave the man hole open which is in the washing room. If I start to smell more weed then I increase the frequency of the ozone dose.

:P

ps- pics of the vent setup would help alot.

Edited by Ferenge420

:P sorry about the cardboard, I thought you meant some new high tech

ducting that has cardboard baffles, but I see what you mean now. The door closes behind me so it is being pushed shut by air which means too much air coming in (door opens into room).

The 2 x exhausts have a carbon filter on the end of them courtesy of a Y connector, so the filter is cutting down the flow of air. But at this rate I could probably put another 2 exhaust fans and still have probs. Would a centrifugal fan directly mounted on filter help push more air through?

Thanks to all for advice.

Hi bro,

smelly plants can be a really big problem, here are a few ideas below.

1) totally seal your grow space area. The best method I think is to put a temp timber stud wall around grow area and line outside walls with plasterboard. Material cost is about 100 bucks.

2)For a sealed door opening cut a hole in the plasterboard/stud wall and tape "velcro tape" around opening and use a peice of plastic as door.

3)Use two charcoal filters. The first just sits on the floor with a fan on top of it to filter particals in the room constantly. The second charcoal filter should attached to the ceiling of the room with the fan sucking smelly air through the filter from the outside in, this is very important to keep smell down (if you have the fan blowing the smelly out of the filter it does not work as good).

4) Use good quality fans ie. TD500 they cost more, but they are worth it.

5)You should not need a "air in" fan at all. But you will have to run some duct from the bottom of your grow room to the fresh air source. The TD500 fan attached 2 the ceiling filter, in a sealed room will cause fresh air to be sucked in from the outside

6)Use a ozone generator - ie silver bullet is a good choice.

7)Grow strains that do not smell as much. ie northern lights strains are good strains to grow, skunkie strains are not.

ps - if you think they smell now. wait until you start drying/curing process your house will reak.

Peace.

I actually look forward to the drying time because it means I can turn the

inlet fan off and just leave exhausts on taking out the smell through the carbon filter. I have tried turning fan off during lights on but it is too hot in there (31-32 deg). I have even put a regulator on inlet fan but unless the

bastard is running flat out the temps rise.

Thanks for all input, will try some above mentioned tricks.