Seedlings Not Taking Off - Help!

Hey everyone,

I am growing in soil with 130w CFL for veg.  I have 3 seedlings and they are 13 days old in these pics.  Normally they should be on their second set of leaves (at least) by now and much greener looking.

I had a successful grow earlier this year which started in early January.  I am using pretty much the same mix of premium potting mix and perlite.  Same light and environment, same water source, same batch of seeds.

post-11830-0-58056200-1371469052_thumb.jpg

post-11830-0-57720100-1371469118_thumb.jpg

The only thing really different is the temperature, now that it is coming into winter I am getting low 20's and probably a bit lower than that overnight.  I am not in a cold climate so I would not think temps matter too much for me except if the grow room gets too hot.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I have heard of people using heating pads but thought that was just for the colder climates.

I initially thought this might be a nutrient problem (which it shouldn't be due to soil mix) so I did give a 1/2 strength of nitrosol a couple of days ago but they did not respond to this.  After seeing no difference in 24-48 hours, I then just flushed the soil with plain tap water.

Any advice guys and gals?  I have already accepted that I'll probably lose these and then I only have a few seeds left to try and get up and going, so if I can't save these I at least don't want to make the same mistakes next time.

Cheers.

How are your temps?

keeping air moving can lower the temperature a bit. This will slow the root development. Try turning on a heater with a termostate, set that at 20. roos like to be above 13 degrees. They dont look sick to me, they are at the end of being fed by the coyledons so now would be the time to sort out any ambient temp issues.

GL

How are your temps?

keeping air moving can lower the temperature a bit. This will slow the root development. Try turning on a heater with a termostate, set that at 20. roos like to be above 13 degrees. They dont look sick to me, they are at the end of being fed by the coyledons so now would be the time to sort out any ambient temp issues.

GL

Hi itic,

Temps are low 20's whenever I check, but probably get a bit lower than that overnight especially the last couple of nights.

I checked them just before and 2 of them look slightly better, a bit more green in them.  I also noticed some purpling of the coyledon leaves which I know is a sign of the cold when it comes to the buds, but not sure about these little leaves.

The only airflow is from  a 10cm computer fan which doesn't really change the temperature of the tent as it's not moving that much air.

Maybe they are just having a rought time through their first couple of weeks and will take off soon?

Thanks for your feedback.

Poss to much water maybe

how often are you watering

Hi itchybro,

I just had them sitting in a tray with about 1cm of water in the tray and making sure the tray never dries out.  I only watered them directly through the soil once or twice.

Since flushing them 2 days ago, I have not put any water in the tray but I will check the soil tonight and if it is drying out I will probably add some then.

Is it bad to keep the soil moist constantly through the seedling stage?

Yes mate, you will need to let the medium dr out before watering, or you will jsut get waterlogged plants eg above!!

Hi Frank, I am definately backing off with the water now.  Just gave them about 100ml each and didn't put any in the tray.  The thing is, I have always kept the tray topped up during seedling stage and have not had a problem over a few grows.  Why now?

Maybe it's a combination of cooler temperatures and too much moisture has stunted them.

Being consicous of the watering now, I will closely monitor the moisture of the soil over the coming week.

Hopefully they bounce back.  I will post an update when I know more.

I will be stoked if I can save these as a few days ago I had written them off.  I don't think I mentioned they are 2 x Blue Cheese and 1 x Vanilla Kush from Bonza.

I haven't grown the blue cheese before but I had the vanilla kush in my last grow and was very impressed. Nice high, taste and got 1.5oz of 1 plant which was half of my total yield under a 250w hps.  Here's some pics of her:

post-11830-0-17180700-1371554269_thumb.jpg

post-11830-0-57959500-1371554325_thumb.jpg

post-11830-0-97098600-1371554423_thumb.jpg

Edited by lifestylez

Yes mate, you will need to let the medium dr out before watering, or you will jsut get waterlogged plants eg above!!

yep what frank said

I have seedlings in at the mo, germed 1/6/13 , of cause it's cold right now being winter 

they have been watered 3 times since day 1 , the last yesterday when transplanting to bigger pot

I wouldn't have any seedling sitting in water constantly , use the weight of the pot to tell you to water

use some bathroom scales if you have to , weigh the pot B4 you water the first time so you know what 

the dry pot weight is,

just cause the top of the pot is dry that doesn't mean the middle or bottom of the pot is dry

All the best mate & good luck, happy grow'n