Growing and Keeping a Mother

Good advice. They use to call it genetic drift but its all crap as long as u look after ur mum she can last for years

There was a post on another site a few years back with a mother that was 15 to 20yrs old in a little pot like a bonzi

He took clones of it regularly, so do what's easiest for u keep a mum or cut off ur cuttings

All the best

DNA breakdown or 'genetic drift' as some call it... it's a load of shit. As I remember, this term became a favourite line of seed merchants in the early days in an attempt to drum up more sales... could be wrong of course, but I doubt it :good:

I didn't explain this very well.

For those that can remember this debate on Overgrow, one rumour was that once a plant was cloned for the 7th time that's when things went downhill 'genetically' as the clones were suppossed to 'loose potency' at this point and it was time to axe them and buy more seeds :good: ... what a great idea :greedy: if your a seed merchant that is...

But what proof was there that the clones were not as potent? Were the trichomes not produced? Did perhaps smoking 10 then 20 then 30 cones a day have something more logical to do with peoples reasoning? Why didn't the clones genetically drift to become more potent instead?

There was a guy posting here on OzStoners a few years back that had an Original Skunk cutting from a cutting from a cutting etc from the early 80's, still had the same punch in the stonerability department, same tastey nuggs year after year, the only thing he said he noticed was that it now popped out a few male flowers, which makes perfect sense, most females will start doing this if they are revegged and reflowered and they will generally show more preflowers than the first round... this is where Nibbs advice to keep the clones turning over starts to make practicle sense... and if you need to keep the clones turning over to keep things vegging correctly well it's sort of nullifies the argument.

I'd welcome anyone to put up some real evidence to highlight whatever it is that's suppossed to happen :)

• Upvote 1