Politics can be a risky subject, so I hope this doesn't turn into a shitstorm about who supports who, because that's not what it's about.  And I have to declare openly that my political position is left wing, but again that's not what this is about.  I see this mainly about the attitudes and ideological positions of the politicians involved rather than party politics.

So it's starting to look like there's some good prospects for law changes in NSW for Medical Marijuana, we'll have to wait and see but at least there's some movement in the right direction.  My question/concern is about what might happen after the next Federal election.  Lets face it, between the media and Labour losing it's way (to put it mildly), it's pretty much inevitable that Liberal will be in.  I personally have not heard Tony Abbots position on cannabis or MMJ, but if anyone else has please chime in with it.  I'm going to take an educated guess based on his general positions on stuff that he is going to be opposed on a fundamental and idiotillogical, sorry mean ideological, level. 

So lets say that NSW Libs decide that MMJ law reform should happen, obviously they will be expected to keep this on the down low until after the election.  My question is - Does anyone think that the Federal Liberal party with Abbot in charge, and many other right wing extremists like Pyne etc in the wings, is going to allow the state based Lib governments to allow any MMJ legislation to ever see the light of day?  And if not (my belief), what will be the best way for us to approach dealing with this particular challenge?

As much as I want MJ to be legalised or non criminalised in some way, I can't select a political party on that factor alone.

There a far more important things for governments to be doing in all seriousness at the moment with the current state of affairs.

Couldn't agree with you more Ferrethead.  However, my question is about what direction the cause of legalisation may need to take when what looks like the inevitable happens.  I had no intention of using this forum to try to sway anyones voting habits or political leanings.

It seems a bit difficult to find a Liberal Party drug policy. Abbott 'fessed up to smoking the drug in his youth but not inhaling!

Found this on their site at the end of an article condemning the use of cannabis seed in food (ffs?):

"The Coalition favours the continuation of a strong illicit drug policy and calls on the Government not to weaken this."

http://www.liberal.org.au/latest-news/2011/03/18/roxon-needs-nip-cannabis-cookies-bud

While the Liberal party supposedly stands for individuals freedoms with minimal government intervention, I cannot see them being true to their principal on this issue especially with Abbott in control. I think our best chance for reform will come from the Hemp party. There was also an article in the Herald Sun recently regarding Don Chipps son starting a political party with the main emphasis being the legalisation of drugs. This could be another alternative.

While the Liberal party supposedly stands for individuals freedoms with minimal government intervention, I cannot see them being true to their principal on this issue especially with Abbott in control. I think our best chance for reform will come from the Hemp party. There was also an article in the Herald Sun recently regarding Don Chipps son starting a political party with the main emphasis being the legalisation of drugs. This could be another alternative.

Whilst what you say is probably true, and there are pro legalisation parties out there, this isn't about who to vote for, but rather about how to deal with pollies who have fundamental anti drug legalisation views.  These people view the Hemp Party etc as crackpots, and feel the same about the people who vote for them, so unless the numbers are large enough they will never give a fuck, look at how they treat the Greens, and they're an established mainstream party who get a fair whack of votes.  I don't want to change peoples voting patterns, just wondering if there's any way, or point, to approach dealing with the struggle when what seems inevitable happens.  I can't help feeling that with Abbot etc in charge it would be right up there with trying to legalise gay marriage.

Whilst what you say is probably true, and there are pro legalisation parties out there, this isn't about who to vote for, but rather about how to deal with pollies who have fundamental anti drug legalisation views.  These people view the Hemp Party etc as crackpots, and feel the same about the people who vote for them, so unless the numbers are large enough they will never give a fuck, look at how they treat the Greens, and they're an established mainstream party who get a fair whack of votes.  I don't want to change peoples voting patterns, just wondering if there's any way, or point, to approach dealing with the struggle when what seems inevitable happens.  I can't help feeling that with Abbot etc in charge it would be right up there with trying to legalise gay marriage.

What does a Liberal like to do most? Save $$!. So an approach that can be taken is to highlight the financial cost to the community that prohibition brings. Get the message across that it is financially irresponsible for any government, whom ever they may be, to continue to pump billions of taxpayer’s hard earned dollars supporting a failed policy. It might also go a long way to sway the public’s opinion which is a key aspect for creating change. Bring it back down to dollars and cents.