Reposted from 420 crew

Be patient mate. The buds fill out over time. 

If they are outdoors, throw out all ideas about timeframes; they rarely stick to a schedule you read on the internet. They will ripen in their own time. 

Do you know how to tell when a plant is ready?

Be patient mate. The buds fill out over time. 

If they are outdoors, throw out all ideas about timeframes; they rarely stick to a schedule you read on the internet. They will ripen in their own time. 

Do you know how to tell when a plant is ready?

just wait until the tricromes are getting amber right? the heavier the amber the heavier the stone right? like if i liked my  uplifting sativa high i would cut it while theyre just starting to turn amber right?

also im putting up an update of them an the clones! let us know what you think.

if its too amber you might aswell kiss that thc good bye its already started degrading to a point where it has no medical effect  but each to his own ;)

just wait until the tricromes are getting amber right? the heavier the amber the heavier the stone right? like if i liked my  uplifting sativa high i would cut it while theyre just starting to turn amber right?

also im putting up an update of them an the clones! let us know what you think.

Aye billy. What inthestars said is good advice.

First thing you need to know is that the colour of the bud has absolutely NO relationship to whether you get a 'sativa high' or an indica high. That is dictated by the breeding of your plant: ie the generations that have gone before.

Secondly: Judging the ripeness, maturity of a plant is a terribly inexact science. Browning of the stigmas is only one, imprecise indication of the ripeness of the bud. The trick is to be aware of the nature of the plant you are growing and to pick it at the exact optimum time.

Sativas will show less browning but the bud will be mature and ready to pick. I believe many folk miss the right moment by leaving their sats too long. 

I know many on this board will disagree but I tend to judge readiness by the state of the seeds. Not all growers breed seed so are not accustomed to judging by this method.

The indicator that a plant has reached its peak maturity is when the seed pods start to split and the seeds are brown and cannot be crushed between thumb and forefinger.

Ultimately, it's often a judgement call; its not the end of the earth if my miss peak ripeness by a couple of days. It's a sin if you miss it by weeks.

This is a pic of my year's harvest. Picked when about 25% pistils were brown and the seeds were mature. I think I got it close to the right moment. Now that it's been trimmed down, I'll put the branches into big, brown paper flour sacks and let them cure for minimum 2 weeks. In that time the stickiness will increase, the raw green plant smell will become very mellow and aromat

There is no way that the precise, peak moment of potency can be calculated for buds.(well, there prolly is, but but would involve years of scientific testing under controlled conditions) but common sense and close observation should indicate when your buds are at their best.http://www.usefulspace.net/MyPix/final-2013.jpg

• Upvote 1