canna terra

Help please someone I am about to start a new grow useing canna terra but I cant get any information from canna about flushing. Do you need to flush like coco? I have another type of bush growing in terra and its gone crazy I cant wait to get some canna growing in it but I dont want to stuff the grow up (because i'll be doing a diary) and these are the only seeds I have of this strain (swazi safari). I have been looking forward to it for so long and I want to get it right. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks Tangwena

Canna Terra.......

Firstly what is Canna Terra? 

Whats it made of ?

Whats the ph and does it have a strong ph buffer like soil ?

If it does have a strong ph buffer and perform like soil then do you really have to ph your nutrients using Terra ?

Why not use other nutrients with canna terra ?

Should we flush soils as we do inert mediums ?

Should we feed soils as often as we do inert mediums?

There's been a few people taking up terra lately so I'm interested to learn more about it and what it actually is and isn't . Cheers

I have not yet finished a grow with canna terra, i do currently have a grow that is detailed in the grow log section that is well into flowering - https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners.com/topic/58509-bento-outdoor-greenhouse-grow/

Ive done a fair amount of research on Canna Terra as part of this grow so i will try to answer some of the Canna Terra related questions to the best of my ability.

Have a look through my grow diary tangwena so see what my experience with Canna Terra has been - i have talked about using the substrate in some detail in the grow log. I do like Canna Terra  and i plan to continue to use it and continue to experiment in the future. The only thing i do not like about the product is the price tag that comes along with it.

Firstly what is Canna Terra? 

Canna terra is a peat based potting mix - personally i almost see it as some sort of hybrid been coco and soil.

Whats it made of ?

It contains a sphagnum moss peat, compost, worm castings, perlite, tree bark and "a special 'natural plant booster' which is a blend of organic ingredients" - the plus version is not available in Australia at this time and contains white peat moss  no perlite, an anti-septic tree bark and contains no nutrients. With the version we get in Australia there is enough feed for the plant in the first 2 to 3 weeks of growth - Canna still recommends feeding though this stage however for optimum growth.

Whats the ph and does it have a strong ph buffer like soil ?

Canna terra is ph buffered, but you will still need to PH your watering to 6.0, in this respect i would think of it like coco where its buffered but you will still need to PH your nutrient solutions.

If it does have a strong ph buffer and perform like soil then do you really have to ph your nutrients using Terra ?

Canna recommends PHing all feeds to the plant. I have not tried feeding plain water personally, so i am not sure if you need to PH, but i imagine for optimum results PHing is advisable.

Why not use other nutrients with canna terra ?

Tricky question that i have been researching to find the answer too. While i am sure that you can use other nutrients in the Canna Terra mix successfully, Terra Vega and Terra Flores are made to react with the Terra mix. But at the end of the day i am sure you would get good results using any other ferts. Id like to try house and garden soil nutrients on Canna Terra at some stage.

Should we flush soils as we do inert mediums ?

No, only flush if you have over fertilized or if there is a ph problem with the plant. Otherwise there is no need to flush except for the end of the grow when you want to rid the plant of nutrients before it is pulled for a higher quality smoke.

Should we feed soils as often as we do inert mediums?

Every feed with Canna Terra should be a nutrient feed according to Canna. I personally feel however that its best for the grower to judge this, for instance if i had been feeding pretty heavy and the days have been hot, so that if you feel there might be a nutrients buildup in the soil then you should feed with plain phed water to give the plant time to make use of the nutrients that are still in the soil.

Edited by Bento
  • Upvote 3