Making you own strain?

It can be as easy as crossing a female plant of x strain with a male plant of y strain and get a z strain that no one has, ya have breed ya own strain.

or it can be a long road looking for that holy grail crossing this with back crossing to find other traits to corss with something you have all ready found but needs that lil something more to it, it can be never ending...

depends what characteristics you want to end up with in your new strain ?

take two completely different pure/ Inbred or stable strains and cross them ...

example: a strain like Panama (100% sativa) crossed into Hindu Kush (100% indica)

its very simple any pollen-chucker can do it .. but the results will be determined entirely upon which two strains you start with, that is the complex part

and of course as Ozzy 420^ mentions the backcrossing to fix desired traits in your new strain ..

:peace:

Well I have never really crossbread or even taken a F and M to make seeds. I am just starting to get into it.

I would like to have a mix of:

Pineapple chunk - I like the look of how it grows, crazy all over the place. Top to look at and good meds

Mobydick - I would like to taste of it

Cross both them with Crital mass farther. Get Crital chunk and mass dick ☺

Then DA Purps x with Blackberry - see what turns out.

What Naycha said; youd need to be able to play with big numbers of little plants to seek out 'the grail'

doing one or two at a time wont be worht it, the only way to check yeild would be letting the gen go wild in perfect conditions.

So lots of space would be top of the 'wish list' OR get well organised in small places- still gunna need a main flower room.. for 'testing'

GL pls post pix

I was reading a post about sprout and shout down.

The long story short - get you mix of beans, sprout under 24 hour light. Grow for about 2 weeks in soil. Then put outside to flower. The large numbers is the key as you both said. Pick best females and seeds/pollen one branch to get seed with best male. Then repeat. To get a good strain it takes about a year min.

At first it looked like to much work, however there was the up side. You can keep seeds for years. Also you can keep pollen for years also.

Main tip was to start slow. And to keep records of everything.

One person said he started by growing males. Which I found really weird. But as he said it only takes one good male to make millions of seeds. Pollen can be stored and only a small amount is needed to make seeds. Also if you self pollen you know that you are not getting cross pollination.

I am guessing every one knows this I am new at it and find it so interesting. So any other info people have would be great. Tips and hints.

Thanks. Chopper

Good stuff Chopper,

I'm about to try embark on some sort of breeding program too so i'll be watching this space :)

Not too sure about the rules about sharing PDF's and such are on here, i have collected a lot of reading material over the years, some of which i have found very handy in all aspects of growing. Everything i have is still attributed to the original authors (as far as i know), have a lot of Jorge Cervantes stuff, Subcool, Chimera, Ed Rosenthal, too many to remember lol

There is a chart i have demonstrating mendelian inheritance by Lord of the strains that gives a basic showing of what the outcomes can be with 2 inbred/pure lines, showing the F1 inheritance then on to the F2's which are a lot more random.

I'll have to find out for sure what is cool to post n such before i go and put anything up.

Have a good one,

Platinum