Cannibus to help with depression?

420Slut

Question

What the title states.

I've had to swap three anti d's now, this one being Pristiq at the base dosage of 50mg, and when I was on Citralopram I had slight chest pains and my heart rate sped up for the first few minutes, which I helped settle by slowing how fast I inhaled. I'm just wondering if cannibus has a bad rep with Pristiq? Because its in my doctor's notes that I smoke semi-regularly, about once a fortnight to a month, and it's only ever to help me sleep and to kick start my appetite again - nasty side effect of anti d's with me is insomnia and lack of appetite within two days - and he actually suggested I buy some to try and help with the first weeks of this new anti d.

Anti d = anti depressant, if you didn't realize.

9 answers to this question

i researched this subject recently for a friend with depression.What I found, and i am sure there is more research out there i have not come accross, is there doesn't seem to be to many conclusive study's regarding cannabis as an anti d. One study I found said that cannabis can help, but with extended heavy use, can actually have the opposite effect, actually causing depression. The one thing that seemed clear across most papers, that I can recall, was that a high cbd strain is more beneficial than a low cbd strain.. Perhaps you could look into the CBD crews seeds and email them regarding your requirements.
  • Upvote 1

You are safe to use cannabis and any SSRI, and this is known in medical circles as well. So using it with cipramil is fine.

Cannabis used with Pristiq can be a problem for some. You know that Pristiq is a metabolite of Effexor and it's a SNRI.

These SNRI's can react with cannabis, and some people have reported serious reactions (check Erowid - cannabis and Effexor).

But don't be alarmed because that's just like any other drug, and most don't have a problem.

I would suggest that you can use cannabis to alleviate some of the side effects from being on a SSRI, and it will help get on with life. But when you’re on the SSRI alone you'll keep getting less and less from it til you need to change drugs again because you've gone up doses and it's not working anymore.

and when I was on Citralopram I had slight chest pains and my heart rate sped up for the first few minutes, which I helped settle by slowing how fast I inhaled.

That's right so go easy when you toke up while on these meds. The good news is you won't need as much either to get the same effect, so you'll be a very economical stoner.

I personally know people who are regular smokers and on SSRI's.

So the short answer is do not use cannabis with any SNRI's. But you are safe to use cannabis with SSRI's.

Hope this helps.

Just remember that Effexor and pristiq can have severe withdrawal symptoms when coming off these meds. Also they can cause serotonin syndrome which is potentially fatal.

I have seen people suffer badly coming of both Effexor and Pristiq. So you may want to think twice about being on a SNRI.

keep experimenting with different anti-d's, took me a few years to work out the right combo for me with minimal side-effects and some benefit. the herb smoking helps differently - anti-d are good for long term mental stability which smoking won't give you but depression (and my variety, bipolar) works in waves and medication that works most of the time can be ineffective if you hit a particularly bad wave! That's where smoking the herb comes in handy; quick short term mood stabilization till you make it past the wave - contant long-term use is likely to be more detrimental than helpful though... my 2c

Hi 420slut.

1.) How often do you ride horses ? (Says that's a hobby in profile) You may have an allergy, i.e, follow that line of thought; even back injury.

2.) I've visited the Psychiatrist in the past for post traumatic Stress dis, and Chronic pain. It does take a long while of testing different drugs to find what suits you.

Psychiatry is an "Inexact Science", Trial and Error. Oddly, a Sugar Tablet (Placebo) has almost the same results in many instances as the patient 'believes'. The mind is powerful if it believes...

3.) It is weird there is so little known about POT, on the 'Medical' side of the fence.

However Research is coming forth about the two active ingredients which we can now identify, and grow in a ratio for specific outcomes. (Honestly we all now them, I'm not spelling them :reading: )

4.)

Because its in my doctor's notes that I smoke semi-regularly, about once a fortnight to a month, and it's only ever to help me sleep and to kick start my appetite again

erm, well your in a great position to tell if POT is making you feel ill using on such an irregular basis.

Edited by budha_stick

Hi 420 slut,I have suffered from chronic pain for the past 38yrs,an in the past few year's i have started to suffer bad depression,

about 6 months ago my doctor put me on pristiq 50mg,

I still smoke pot with no bad side effect's,

I will be stopping the anti depressant in the next few months to see how i go with out them as i dont like to take any meds unless i realy need them.

Try to get hold of some good indica strain of cannabis with high CBD in it, you will be better of buying some seed's an growing it yourself, then you will know what you are realy smoking,it is best to let your plants or plant grow till just about all the resin glands have turned brown dont pick it when the resin glands are mostly white or you will not have the CBD content in the cannabis you need for pain control.

There is no magic formula to depression or controling chronic pain.

Just dont let the meds control your life.

The meds an the cannabis are tools to be used by you to help you,just try to stay positive an there is light at the end of the tunnel. :peace: hang in there sweety it's a ruff road i know.

Edited by Dingo-2008