What's the best way to start seeds.

I place my seeds in a cup of water until they sink (you may need to give them a tiny tap to get them to drop), this usually takes around 24 hours. Check up on them every 6-8 hours. This speeds up the initial germination process.

As soon as I notice them sinking, I take them out of the water to minimize the chance of drowning and place them between two layers of wet paper towel, on a plate that is covered in glad-wrap. This keeps the humidity nice and high.

If they are going to crack (I've never had a seed fail), they will do so very shortly after being put in the paper towel.

Once the stems get to about 15mm in length (check daily), I take them out of the paper towel and place them in potting soil. It takes around a day for them to sprout.

From seed in water to sprout in pot has never taken me more than 72 hours, or 3 days.

In all honesty, you really cannot go wrong with germinating seeds unless you do something horribly ignorant.

If you want a real challenge germinating seeds, try tobacco. lol

I place the seeds on clean, moist paper towel and wait until the radicle is around 1cm before moving to a different medium.

Sphagnum moss is worth considering as it has natural anti-fungal properties, but fungi are rarely a problem anyway.

- protein