Arrests over marijuana website

I don't think SSL is going to stop anyone gathering info about you. This is a public forum, what you post is on display for all to read. It would not even stop a court order to obtain a list of members and thier details (email etc) - however this is probably unlikely unless someone starts doing something outrageous.

Hosting with drugsense makes more sense to me cause thier is nothing we need the secure server to encrypt. If drugsense has a better policy to protect its clients then I'm all for it. But this is upto the boss and he might be happy with current provider.

Chief

I like the idea of Oz Stoners being moved to a secure server if that would provide bettter security and would be willing to contribute to the financial side of it as well.

yeah i reckon all the members have benefitted enough to find 25 bucks to put towards a more secure forum.

why can't we find one that incorporates a chat room as well.

::): i'm sorry Taz but i am gonna annoy you about this one :P . could we get some prices please ;) .

This matter needs to be taken up directly with Oz Stoner, moderators do not have the authority to discuss financial matters concerning the site.

As to site security, this site is secure as was discussed at some extent in September, newer members would not be aware of that discussion which is a bit of a black spot in the history of Oz Stoner's.

I don't think SSL is going to stop anyone gathering info about you. This is a public forum, what you post is on display for all to read.

That's not what it's for :) SSL encrypts all interaction with the site, so anyone eavesdropping can't see what you're posting or attempt to link an IP with an OS account. Eavesdropping can be done at your ISP with a warrant, at any intermediate proxy, or where the website is hosted. If you're using encryption and the site is hosted in a relatively safe place like Canada then the chance of anyone eavesdropping is pretty much nil.

They can still see that you're visiting the OS site, but not what you're doing. There's no real way to avoid this until browsing via encrypted p2p meshes is widely available. At the moment if a warrant is served to your ISP, they can see everything you post to OS, including your username and password. They don't need to get this from the site.

Security is all about layers. You can never have 100% security, and no single solution is the best, but if you can provide as many layers of security as possible you can prevent up to 99% of problems. You need to look at computer security as a never-ending problem that needs vigilance, there's always a chance the site or your PC will be compromised - in fact if you don't keep up to date with security updates it is inevitable. Honeypot researchers have shown that a brand new install of an older version of Windows is often compromised after only a few hours of being on the Net. You need to keep your computer up to date and avoid viri and trojans etc. Even do a clean reinstall every now and then, then upgrade to all of the latest security updates before you do anything else.

It's all about managing the risk, and minimising the damage done when it inevitably happens.

It would not even stop a court order to obtain a list of members and thier details (email etc) - however this is probably unlikely unless someone starts doing something outrageous.

A court order or warrant can only be filed where the site is hosted, but they could still pester the registrant for this domain or do a search on the PO BOX and harrass/blackmail Ozstoner etc. Hosting in the USA is more likely to be bad than Canada, but still it's much better than hosting it here locally.

Drugsense hosting is done with a donation, they recommend a figure and if you can afford it you're encouraged to donate that much or as close as you can. If you can't afford it they're very understanding and they'll more than likely take whatever you can afford. I'm paying about AUS$300/year for 200MB and MySQL. I'm adding SSL to that soon for about AUS$200/year. It's only a suggestion though, if Ozstoner is happy with his hosting arrangement and trusts the security of this site then the rest is still up to you guys, secure your PC and keep up to date with security updates, use encryption wherever possible (such as digital photos and files stored on your drive), make regular backups and just be prepared.

As to site security, this site is secure as was discussed at some extent in September, newer members would not be aware of that discussion which is a bit of a black spot in the history of Oz Stoner's.

Is the thread still around or has it vanished into The Bitchin' Room? ::):

I trust Ozstoner, if he says this site is secure then it is. The problem is that we should also secure the rest of the link - traffic to and from the site, and end-user PCs. The PCs are up to each of us obviously, but if we can encrypt all traffic with SSL then we're significantly increasing security for the users.

The banks won't use anything but SSL, it's probably a good idea for us to think about it too :P I've put up $40 and several other people have offered $50, I'm sure we could afford it if Ozstoner is open to the idea.

Guest Wilderbud
As far as I see it, it doesn't hurt talking about the things we love does it?

I dont hurt people and neither does marijuana [as much as some things anyway]. B)

I love weed and will die for it!