CANNA NUTES

Hey all, recently I changed nutes from a cheaper brand called "Green Haze". 25 a bottle I think.

In it's place I bought what I've been hearing as the greates t nutes arount "CANNA". $33?

Actually, the money is irrelevant, at the cost of pot, a few bucks a bottle is nothing, so I'd even pay more if it came down it. I mean if anyone has any suggestions....(just dont tell the companies I'll go higher...shhh....:P)

Now I'm seein much much slower growth than I did with the green haze. I mean significantly slower. If I'd seen no differnet, I may say all is well, but they just aren't booming (at the same NUTE strenghts).

Do I have to just increase this stuf?Or what ? I'm unsing it in flood and drain, expended clay, great light. overkill almost. fams..bla bla bla.. It is a nute thing.

cheers

rob

PS. They do actually look a little healthier than the green haze plants. Pretty much actually. Maybe the healthier plants will produce more buds in the long run, regardelss of size?

Everyone will tell you the nutes they are using are the best and Im no exception.

Im saying this from experience not from what I read.

When Istarted growing in hydro I used Amsterdam two part nutrients and for a beginner I thought they were great and I did have good results.

I then switched to a brand that was dirt cheap but needed to be mixed from powder form.

The results were disappointing ;) and the buds were small and fluffy.

I was really pissed off :angry: with the results so I phoned a few hydro shops to get their honest opinion on their prefered nutes.

The majority seemed to lean towards the "General Hydroponics" Flora brand but also mentioned that they were not cheap. ;)

So I purchased the three part GH nutes and havent looked back ;) ....from then on all my grows have been fast and trouble free with bud sizes I thought were only a myth.

The instructions on the labels sound complicated but the general rule of thumb for vegitation is

3 parts Grow 2 parts Micro and 1 part bloom.

For flowering its the opposite.

3 parts Bloom 2 parts Micro and 1 part grow.

The only other thing you have to do is add a little extra Mg. (epsom salts) at half teaspoon per 4 litres.

Magnesium is the central atom in chloropyll and GH nutrients are lacking in it.

Im a bit of a tinkerer when it comes to growing but I wont play around with any other nutrients while I'm happy with the results I'm getting now in DWC. :P

Guest BudWaver

Canna be fine robbie..ya gotto make sure your system optimises the nutes you feed it...I personally wouldnt use expensive nutes during growing on a RTW system....I find it hideously expensive....

I use and have used many different chems for flowering but am currently using Optimum Bloom with some potash added in for effect...its cheap at 44$ for 5 Litres of A+B...

The only way u can really tell is side by side comparisons....

Yeah, I agree with bw here.. you'd never really know for sure it was the nutrients and not some other factors which are affecting the grow...

Hey buddy, don't you find it somewhat stupid that you should have to add epsom salts to a so-called complete hydroponic formula? Why pay more for nutes which are deficient in the first place when you could easily get ones which are complete as they stand? ;) Just wondering, nothing meant by it.... ;)

I'm currently into the nulife technologies nutes, yeah, they're cheap, but they've given me good results and the only problems I've ever had with nutrients was as direct result of my own actions, not the nutes...

As to your particular problem robbie, I've never used the canna nutes myself, so I can't really offer much advice as to their use... Have you compared the nute ratios to the Green Haze? Perhaps this is why the plants aren't responding as quick as last time, maybe the green haze was more suited to that particular strain, as there are some which prefer less of some nutes than others... Just a thought there... ;) Oh, another one, was the last and present grow done in similar temps or time of year? Cos that could have a serious impact, even for an indoor grow. (unless complete climate control is possible, I find it difficult to acheive this, it's more a matter of trying to match conditions to the plants needs as much as poss, but after a while you're matching plants and systems to condtions. Did that make sense? :P )

Anyway, if you could give as much info as possible on the plants, strain, details of the grow now and then, perhaps we could find the limiting factor for ya... Wow, I don't believe it, I'm asking RobbieGanjaSeed for more info to help his grow... ;) never thought that would happen... ;)

hey Buddy, is that the concentration of epsom salts you run for DWC?  What do you run your ec at?

When I pop them into the bubbler after the roots show through the rockwool, I only go as high as 500 ppm with a PH of around 6.2 until the roots grow through the bottom of the netpots, then I add the epsom salts and more nutrients until it reaches 1000 ppm and lower the PH to between 5.5 and 5.8.. The nutrient temp is maintained at 26 degrees. :P

Luke Skywalker,Nov 27 2003, 03:43 PM]

Hey buddy, don't you find it somewhat stupid that you should have to add epsom salts to a so-called complete hydroponic formula? Why pay more for nutes which are deficient in the first place when you could easily get ones which are complete as they stand?  Just wondering, nothing meant by it.... 

You can buy a "complete formula" and add nothing, but if you want to give the plants a little extra of something they like such as Super thrive, Monsta bud or any of the many other growth promoters on the market that will improve the plants performance, then no, I dont think its stupid.

Mg.increases chloropyll production and in turn more sugars are produced for the plants needs.

Edited by Buddy

You can buy a "complete formula" and add nothing, but if you want to give the plants a little extra of something they like such as Super thrive, Monsta bud or any of the many other growth promoters on the market that will improve the plants performance, then no, I dont think its stupid.

Mg.increases chloropyll production and in turn more sugars are produced for the plants needs.

Yeah, I get your point then, you're not adding the epsom salts to the mix because it's deficient in it, you're adding it to boost the plants... Or am I confused here? :P Does the nutrient perform badly without the added epsom? ;)

It's a bit different to add say superthrive, or other "additives" which would not normally be present in a "complete" hydroponic nutrient you could buy off the shelf , (by this I mean a nutrient containing all the necessary macro and micro elements, in sufficient quantites, to sustain plant growth at a healthy rate.) and adding epsom salts to a nute mix because it's deficient in it initially. You know what I mean? Course, if it's the other reason, that you find there's an appreciable boost above "normal" growth rates with the added epsom salts, then I could get that... but if the nute is already deficient and the epsom salts are more a preventative measure against nutrient deficiency.... ;)

I don't get why you'd use something that wouldn't be ready to go out of the bottle... if you have to add your own basic nutrient salts to the mix, then it's not a complete formula, is it? And if you're adding more salts to the mix yourself, to a nutrient not normally containing those salts, is there any effect on the concentrations or chemical forms of the other nutrients in solution? Obviously you're growing well, and I may have this whole thing completely upside down. Just ignore me if I have... ;)

I'm not seeming like a prat about this, am I? I'm just really curious about it. ;)

canna bloom nutes have real high nitrogen levels, keep your plants greener than most other plants through the end of flowering but I've never noticed any diff in any nutes, cos something else usually stuffs up anyway. to blame for yield problems and I rarely grow the same strain again, but canna gives way more photogenic dark green plants I find.

Never used the green haze though, my advice is buy it again next time :P

I got dutchfest cos its all i could get on tick.

I've been using mostly Dutchmaster, and mine boom alright ;) But there is no such thing as the 'best' anyway, there's too many products on the market to really be able to say that. I only use their single part nutes, and I've had fantastic results with my WW.

And yeah, I can't see how it's a complete formula, if you need to add something to it. Unless you're adding it for a boost or something, not because it needs it. Which is what it sounds like anyway. But I get what Luke is saying :P And no matey, you don't sound like a prat, it's all about learning as you know. If you don't ask, you don't know ;)

Unlike a lot of other brands on the market, General Hydroponics dont create their products for marijuana growers. :P

They have a contract with NASA to develop nutrients for plant experiments in space, thats why they come in three parts so that they are more flexible. They have an impecable reputation with legal growers all over the world so they dont need to cater to the marijana growers to stay afloat.

If you want to grow pansies, petunias or killer lettuce ect.....you should'nt have to add anything to their three part formula.

My marijuana plants like a bit more Magnesium (some advise given to me by more experienced growers) to produce the results I'm getting so I add some and like I said in my previous post, the results are excellent.

I'm not knocking other brands, I've only used two others but I beleive that "When your on a good thing, stick to it" and "If it ain't broke, dont try to fix it " ;)