i need barbed wire

It depends on the local scrub conditions you're growing in, but barb wire, as already mentioned wont do much. Netting wire, and bloody tall as you can is the only wire method that will work.

If low chicken wire is keeping them out, then they were never a problem to start with.

Electric fence generators are brilliant. I used them for years, and never had a single short out. It can happen I suppose, and it's gonna depend on the area you're growing in, like I said. If you're in scrub, with bare ground, ya laughing. if it's in the open, with grass, and so on, you may have trouble. WHat can happen is the earth peg might go dry,. and the fence wont have the boot it should, but just piss on the earth peg every visit, or pour some water on it.

No matter how you weight it up, electric fence will beat barb wire any day. Mesh wire will work, if u run it tall enough. If there's dingos around, entice them to camp around the grow by tieing meat bones all around the plot with tie wire. Keep the feed up regular, a lot at first, and back off a bit later if u want. If you tie enough bones around the plot, and there's ahealthy dinog population, then you'll have them set their camp up around your plants, and you'll never see another wallaby.

If they don't get chased by the dogs, they'll smell their camp long before they reach the plants.

But I'm another that's used electric fences and I love em. I used portable ones that run on D sized batteries. I used to run the orange wire with fleckin it every few inches down the plastic step in posts you can buy. I didn't run earth wires, just earthed the generator, and relied on the ground itself to give the animals a belt. I haven't bought one for ten years, butthey were about 150 dollars tax free, i dont know what the price is if you arent a primary producer. The wire isprob. 40 bux, but will do a few plots.

All up, the dingoes are by far the best bet, but you have problems now, and it might take a couple weeks for the dingos to take up residence, although it might take one night too. But one thing is sure, you do have to have dogs in the area.

cheers

rob

Enough with the dammn dingoes mate :)

Just camp at ur plot with a shotty in hand if ur that paranoid

Maybe a few claymores?

Its simple if the roos are geting to your plot find a new location search for a place they wont get to maybe a fair hike up some rocky hillsides. I know of a guy that useto climb up 400m cliffs to tend his plants :) he never got any ripper there ;)

Gotta love the dingos. :)

I used to carry a shot gun every time I went watering. It took away the mytery from nosey farmers wondering what ya up to. Many times I was on a hilside doing somthing or other, thinking I was all alone in the world, only to have some farmer a while later ask me what I was up to on the hillside that day.

They have eyes like eagles the buggers.

But I do agree, firearms and crops are a serious bad mix, and every time I hear about a crop being done over and a ute load of weapons I cringe. It's just that wondering around the bush without a gun is just asking to be busted in a lot of areas. And then in other areas it might bring ya undone. :)

rob

taking every suggestion into consideration, i opted for chicken wire (heh i found a bundle around the house!) . it works great, it's 3ft high which easily blocks out the wallabies, ive just got it in place with a couple of stakes per plant.

Edit: theres no dingos here near redcliffe :)

Edited by martraci

:), that's okay wade, it wasn't meant as a jibe, just a friendly opinion. Yeah, it isn't a plantation... ;) And I applaud your responsibility with your firearm, good to see some do. ;) Just putting forward my opinion on it, nothing personal intended wade. ;)

I think your right there Robbie, it could be a very useful excuse for large landowners or workers, but still, it's a dicey thing isn't it.

I'd like to agree with ya, but I still think it's a bad idea to have firearms around any grows. Small or big. Regardless. Cos we all know the laws are rigged against us in the first place, so it's wise to make a low target IMHO.

Still, it's up the individual. If you think it's necessary.... :)

g'day; what you need to do is catch a few giant moth, pull their balls off and place them in the area of your plants. if you cant catch big enough moth for big balls to be found, you can buy them at most supermarkets.

wildlife dont like the menthol smell given off by moth balls so they avoid it. try it if you not done already :)