Wet Weight versus Dry Weight

Guest BudWaver

Guest BudWaver

I recently got into a convo with someone regarding dried bud weight versus initial wet weight.

My assumption was that you lose 50-60 percent of the weight of the bud going from wet to dry using superbud and probably 60-70 percent without an additive like SB.

So I set up a little experiment and got some results which amazed me...and I was waaaaaaaaaay off base....

I weighed up my fully manicured buds wet and then fully dry and my loss in weight was 78%...and these buds were rock solid heavy little suckers not fluffy at all....

I hear people all the time saying (inlcuding myself previously) that you will lose 50-60 percent of your crop...but I have to say this is bullshit...its a lot higher....

Two other people ran similar tests and lost 80-85% of their yield...

Anyone else got some definitive test results and not a rough judgement/>?

Leaving the middles wet doesnt count as being fully dry....:D

well, I've weighed my only two harvests so far and always got a little under half dry. this was after about a 2 week initial dry. but, last crop I put in a big curing jar and over a month or two it lost I'd say another 10-15% in volume. Not sure about weight. but when I put the buds in they were packed to the rim, now they're loose inside with room to move.

Guest BudWaver

Pipeman how did you dry them? Did you dry them till the stems snapped?

Ive now tried this on 4 differnet strains with very little variation...except big bud which looked large in size but weighed very little

Guest weekprik

I loose roughly 50% since using potash, it seems to hold the weight better.

Before I reakon i was looing yea like 60% at least, so IMO the potash is worth its weight in gold,

Edited by weekprik

It was a long time back (1994? 95?), was soil grown gear and I reckon the same as stonedas, about 20-30% of the original weight.

What I often wonder, is there a significant difference in the amount lost in drying between hydro grown gear, and soil grown gear. That's what's had my brain tickin for some time. I haven't got anywhere to grow outside anymore to find out.

rob