raising seeds

Hi Head High, with such a low germ rate, i wonder if your seeds are pollinated? just a thought from a newby. the only reason i say it, I had 120 seeds given to me, which looked by all accounts good. not wrinkly and withered. only 3 popped. of the 3 one died and the other two where runts. yet, with open pollenated veg seeds i buy the germ rate is almost 100%. Edited by olddave

Hey guys 'n gals

Bit of back story...

I was given ~200 seeds by a mate back in early 2010 i acquired another 50 or so random seeds from other mates.

I've been using over the past year, i've kept them in a cupboard in zip lock back with a gel bag.

So last weekend I ran the seeds over some fine sand paper to scratch the husk and dropped them into a glass of water for about ~15 hours

Then planted them into some jiffy pellets, placed the pellets into a grow tray placed about 5mm high water in the tray, placed the tray on a heat mat.

Now i did have the humidity cover on for a day or two, but it's been off for a good 4 days now.

So it's been 7 days since I've planted em, not one sprout... Should i be concerned? Have i got bogus seeds?

Popping the seeds has always been so difficult, i usually get about a 5 - 10% success rate.

Maybe i just need some good seeds!

Hi HH!

I'm no expert by any means but I'd say those seeds aren't viable. I had a bag of seeds in my drawer for nearly 10 years and I planted ten last October. All ten sprouted within 3 days. Good luck I hope you get some going. :)

Edited by nicelytoasted123

Hey guys 'n gals

Bit of back story...

I was given ~200 seeds by a mate back in early 2010 i acquired another 50 or so random seeds from other mates.

I've been using over the past year, i've kept them in a cupboard in zip lock back with a gel bag.

So last weekend I ran the seeds over some fine sand paper to scratch the husk and dropped them into a glass of water for about ~15 hours

Then planted them into some jiffy pellets, placed the pellets into a grow tray placed about 5mm high water in the tray, placed the tray on a heat mat.

Now i did have the humidity cover on for a day or two, but it's been off for a good 4 days now.

So it's been 7 days since I've planted em, not one sprout... Should i be concerned? Have i got bogus seeds?

Popping the seeds has always been so difficult, i usually get about a 5 - 10% success rate.

Maybe i just need some good seeds!

Hi HH!

I'm no expert by any means but I'd say those seeds aren't viable. I had a bag of seeds in my drawer for nearly 10 years and I planted 10 last October. All ten sprouted within 3 days. Good luck I hope you get some going. :)

man, cant wait to hear what these 10yo are like.