raising seeds

Hey guys 'n gals

Bit of back story...

I was given ~200 seeds by a mate back in early 2010 i acquired another 50 or so random seeds from other mates.

I've been using over the past year, i've kept them in a cupboard in zip lock back with a gel bag.

So last weekend I ran the seeds over some fine sand paper to scratch the husk and dropped them into a glass of water for about ~15 hours

Then planted them into some jiffy pellets, placed the pellets into a grow tray placed about 5mm high water in the tray, placed the tray on a heat mat.

Now i did have the humidity cover on for a day or two, but it's been off for a good 4 days now.

So it's been 7 days since I've planted em, not one sprout... Should i be concerned? Have i got bogus seeds?

Popping the seeds has always been so difficult, i usually get about a 5 - 10% success rate.

Maybe i just need some good seeds!

hay there how old are the seeds i find seeds over 3 years old most can take 2 weeks ive had em pop up 3/4 weeks keep it moist for a couple weeks

an if i was you id be pumping it sa hard as it will take its a lil late but some dont flower for another mounth or so if its one like that thumbup.gif most of mine have already started flower have some fun with it anyway

Edited by smashed1

sorry mte never bought seeds so cant help there,

an i no your's a arent old but how deep you put em i put mine about half cm down that helps heaps,

an with old seeds i think after so long siteing dormant they go into a sortof hybernation just why i think they take so long to get going

Edited by smashed1

Hey guys 'n gals

/snip

Maybe i just need some good seeds!

G'day headhigh :thumbsup: I reckon you're right hey you need some better seeds ;) even the usual 5-10% germ rate you get isn't that good to be honest.

Are the seeds you planted nice and dark coloured, hard when you give em a squeeze between two fingers?

Was the seed husk cracked after you soaked them for 15hrs? Sometimes it's taken 48hrs or more for them to crack for me.

It really isn't a difficult thing to do (with decent seeds), for some reason people overcomplicate it. A glass of water and a warm dark place is all you need and should have them cracked in a day or two, then into whichever medium you like.

Hopefully yours pop up soon for you and you can get growing :thumbsup:

:peace:

Edited by nugget
  • Upvote 1

They were planted about 1cm in the pellet, no compression was used.

I always do the crunch test, they have all been hard and dark brown. varying shades and size

i've read everywhere not to leave the seeds in the water for more than 24hrs.

I might have a chat with a mate see if he'll let me send some seeds to his place...

i've read everywhere not to leave the seeds in the water for more than 24hrs.

Well I don't agree with that nor have I ever read it anywhere. I leave mine floating on the top of a glass of water for as long as they take to show a decent tap root - then I transplant them. I have a very high success rate with this method.

The choice is your's of course but I've never had much success starting seedlings in jiffys - the mesh really hinders the roots imo.

Jimbo :bongon: