High Finance

Dispensary worker: "They're carrots."

:D yeah that was funny!!

Not a bad report imo, but I do have to (probably not surprisingly) offer a retort to pretty much all of Dupont's points.

First he says cannabis is the leading cause of treatment in the US. Fails to mention, though, how many of those people in treatment have been forced to do so by the courts.

That cannabis-related car fatalities were rivaling alcohol. Well, that was an out-and-out lie. Given the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimated that 40% of all traffic-related deaths in the US in 2006 were due to alcohol, it's also a lie easily found out.

Medical pot. He says people with AIDS, cancer etc aren't accessing cannabis, but mainly young men suffering back pain, depression, insomnia and anxiety. "That's not a sick population, that's a drug abusing population." As someone who suffers two of the aforementioned problems, I could have done without the belittling attitude. Dismissing those things as anything less than illness is just plain wrong. But even if I didn't, what the hell is wrong me with wanting to do something that makes me feel better? Sheesh...

He dismisses anecdotal evidence of people with illness benefiting from cannabis as "not science". Excuse me? When the DEA and NIDA are actively hindering scientific research into the medicinal benefits of cannabis, you can't then turn around and throw that in our faces!!

Finally, he says the pro-cannabis crowd (I guess that's us :D ) are people who are using the medicinal legalisation argument to "change the image of the drug." Well, I'm not. I just want the truth.

Rant ends.

:D

Hey Snooch, every single one of your comments echoed the same opinions in my mind.

I watcjed and called BS at each of the same point you did. Indeed thought exactly the same things.

That guy was an IDIOT. Hurry up and do the world and die you old dinosaur.

At least I know some people in this world have common sense, even if I can only find them on a cannabis forum :D

Anyway the rest of the report was "better than usual". While the reporter perhaps made a few colourful and fun remarks, he did not personally attack pot with his snide, ignorant attitude like most reporters. Bravo a decent reporter/

Edited by cybergenesis

l

Medical pot. He says people with AIDS, cancer etc aren't accessing cannabis, but mainly young men suffering back pain, depression, insomnia and anxiety. "That's not a sick population, that's a drug abusing population." As someone who suffers two of the aforementioned problems, I could have done without the belittling attitude. Dismissing those things as anything less than illness is just plain wrong. But even if I didn't, what the hell is wrong me with wanting to do something that makes me feel better? Sheesh...

Yeah this bit really shit me to tears! What a fuck wit.

I bet he would be fine with people who have anxiety , depression , insomnia, taking as many pharma poisons as

a GP will prescribe...! But using a living thing like a plant? is drug abuse?

Seriously i wonder what makes guys like this tick? oh yeah thats right money , greed for money and the illusion of power that goes with it. I hope he dies soon too.,

wiki -

Robert L. DuPont, M.D. (born March 25, 1936 in Toledo, Ohio) is a national leader in drug abuse prevention, policy and treatment. He was the first Director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) from 1973 to 1978 and was the second White House Drug Czar from 1973 to 1977 under former Presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. In 1978 Dr. DuPont became the founding President of the Institute for Behavior and Health, Inc.[1] In 1982 he and Peter B. Bensinger founded Bensinger, DuPont & Associates [2], a national consulting firm. Dr. DuPont is a Fellow of the American Society of Addiction Medicine[3] and a Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He was the founding president of the Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA) and currently maintains a psychiatric practice in Maryland specializing in addiction and anxiety disorders.[4]

This explains the good Doc Dupont's vested interest in putting down cannabis. Also shows how long he's profited so far from prohibition..

Last sentence sums up why he'd oppose cannabis use for anxiety imo :D :D

Program was worth a watch tho. Presenter did ok overall this time.

I wonder if there has ever been a 'balanced' program/report regarding cannabis that has been shown on TV?

This report was so closed to being balanced. It had both sides of the argument. All it needed to do was actually disclose DuPont's history and vested interests to the viewer so they could make up their own mind as to whether his arguments were legitimate or not imo. Just saying he was a former drug czar wasn't enough.

Edited by snooch

First he says cannabis is the leading cause of treatment in the US. Fails to mention, though, how many of those people in treatment have been forced to do so by the courts.

I thought some facts to back up my statement here might have been of interest, so here goes...

Nearly six out of ten people admitted to drug treatment programs for marijuana are referred there by the criminal justice system, according to a just-released report by the US Department of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Association (SAMHSA).

Source: http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/forward/...lref/node/23698

Once again using facts to refute stupid claims made by a simple man who's profited nicely through prohibition...I believe if people like DuPont are going to make unfounded and untrue statements, they need to be called to account.

Not sure how much longer people will be able to continue with this "leading cause of treatment" charade....Time for a bit of honest, open debate methinks.

http://ofsubstance.gov/blogs/pushing_back/...7/06/51426.aspx

Prescription drug abuse is the fastest-growing drug problem in the United States and is a serious public health concern. Here are a few startling statistics regarding the extent of the issue:

Edited by snooch

That would be great and wonderful Bill - but its never gonna fly - sure its just a ride but each must make a choice.

reminds of of the little rhyme I learned many years ago.

"Isn't if funny that princes and kings and clowns that tumble

in sawdust rings and ordinary folk like you and me: ARE BUILDERS

OF ETERNITY - to Each is given a bag of tools, a path to follow and

a book of rules - and each must build ere his time has flown a stumbling block

or a stepping stone "

It is a ride as you say but you can only be on a small part of it - your part and how

you respond to every day happening is what you choose. What goes around comes

around - aint no use to worry about it is there ?