What a load of crap , do you really believe that pot is stronger now i don't think so at all, you can only get so much out of the plant , put it this way in the NT i grew buds with so much resin on them they stick to windows 7in buds thrown at a window and sticking to it , its very hard to get buds to produce resin glands that big indoors , it might be a bit more effort to get plants to grow to 100% but its definitely possible , and who is to say that people couldn't do this 4000 years ago, the plants change all the time Genetics have changed etc but over 4000 years of cultivation used for medicine and people believe only now over the last 20 years it has become so much stronger (rofl )because of Hydro ^^ doubt it hydro is all about trying to mimic outdoors . :thumbsup:

Interesting statement.

I agree with you, I don't think hydroponic manipulation makes a plant 'stronger' to smoke.

I think the reason that pot might have become stronger over the past 20-30 years is due to globalization

and the ability for an Englishman to jump on the plain, and be in Afghanistan the next day, and mix his old Sativa genetics with these new Indica ones and have a client pool to sell them too.

Soo in conclusion, most of these new genetics are just ancient genetics mixed together.

I'm sure breeders try and make the strongest and best plants by selected inbreeding aswell...

Then there is the topic of genetic modification!

Cyclone -

i think there is landrace strains that are stronger than hybrids. like mazar i sharif afghan and most other hashplants. Some sativas are also in that catergory for example: thai and viet, malawi, kerela and south american genepool.

the dea and police and govts tell us that the weed from the 60's and and 70's was 3-5% THC. Sure there will be a lot that fall into that catergory but the select growing by farmers who grew selective genepools for generations would always grow for the market. whatever that may be...

sometimes i think that these govt officials must of grown some dank and when it was 2 weeks before picking they picked it cos it looked ready. then did their tests on item 9. :yahoo:

It is my understanding that tests done in the 60's and 70's were mostly on seized product and was commonly a mixture of immature bud, leaf and stem with a few seeds for good measure. Sensimilla was rare in those days but not non-existent. IMO sensimilla then would have been similar in strength to sensimilla today if picked at the right time. Modern cultivation and harvesting technique's (i.e. sensimilla, not hydroponics) as well as a more stable gene pool to choose from will have defiantly increased the average potency of what is out there today but there would have been some good buds around back in those days if you were in the right circles.

:yahoo:

Edited by bloodshot_eyes

pot IS stronger now and you know why the government can say this with confidence. because they are the crackhead pedos that grew g 13 strain one of the strongest . think about it how many government goons do you know and they all smoke pot the wankers Edited by psychoresin

It is my understanding that tests done in the 60's and 70's were mostly on seized product and was commonly a mixture of immature bud, leaf and stem with a few seeds for good measure. Sensimilla was rare in those days but not non-existent. IMO sensimilla then would have been similar in strength to sensimilla today if picked at the right time. Modern cultivation and harvesting technique's (i.e. sensimilla, not hydroponics) as well as a more stable gene pool to choose from will have defiantly increased the average potency of what is out there today but there would have been some good buds around back in those days if you were in the right circles.

:)

You hit the nail on the head bloodshot. If you average the THC content of the older gear which includes leaf, seeds, stem etc of course it's going to be weaker than the pure bud sold now. In those days bags of leaf actually got sold. It suits government propaganda to leave out the fact that they are comparing two different things.

pot IS stronger now and you know why the government can say this with confidence. because they are the crackhead pedos that grew g 13 strain one of the strongest . think about it how many government goons do you know and they all smoke pot the wankers

I truly believe the origins of g13 to be a myth. I've never tried the pure cut but I have tried plenty of crosses (including a back crossed 75%) and a "selfed" plant. None of these were in the least bit outstanding and really g13 doesn't rate a mention these days. I would be curious if anyone has had experience of the pure cut. Even then there are supposedly different versions.

I started smoking in the later 70's and whether the bud is stronger today than yesterday is of no consequence. No one in the city smoked grass apart from the nature freaks, not when there was squidgy black Afhgani hash, Thai Buddha sticks and Lebanese gold brick to whet your lips on.

Yeah the buds I grow today are much more potent than what I could buy 1978, but they have nothing on the brain melting power of bricked Lebanese gold that I was buying in Parhran until the mid 1980's :) or the oil that I used to get when visiting rellies in Sydney.

It's just another meaningless government sponsored slogan... easy to throw out there but hard to argue against.

Look, simple fact is, pot IS stronger than before, ie bush weed with no contact from man, like any other plant just grows weaker and as a result the thc is also less. Also through selective breeding modern plants are generally like 15-20% thc, wheres before, worst case scenario was 5%. In any case, this doesnt make weed worse, it just means you have to smoke a little less of it to acquire the same effect. Stupid anti-weed protestors just wanna slander weed in any way possible.

I started smoking in the later 70's and whether the bud is stronger today than yesterday is of no consequence. No one in the city smoked grass apart from the nature freaks, not when there was squidgy black Afhgani hash, Thai Buddha sticks and Lebanese gold brick to whet your lips on.

Yeah the buds I grow today are much more potent than what I could buy 1978, but they have nothing on the brain melting power of bricked Lebanese gold that I was buying in Parhran until the mid 1980's :) or the oil that I used to get when visiting rellies in Sydney.

It's just another meaningless government sponsored slogan... easy to throw out there but hard to argue against.

You left out hash from Pakistan. Parhran? Station Hotel? Our paths may have crossed down there lou lou. The oil was great back in those days. Thai sticks. Yummm!!

Some of the bush cannabis I used to get would cause halucinations of epic proportions. Imo some of it was a strong as todays. There was just not as much of the high potency cannabis around then as there is today. :)

You left out hash from Pakistan. Parhran? Station Hotel? Our paths may have crossed down there lou lou. The oil was great back in those days. Thai sticks. Yummm!!

Some of the bush cannabis I used to get would cause halucinations of epic proportions. Imo some of it was a strong as todays. There was just not as much of the high potency cannabis around then as there is today. :)

Station hotel was a block or so away... past Greville street... too far to walk :)

Must say I did occasionally go there and the Prahran, which was closer to home, but if I was out to party I'd more likely be in the CBD, Collingwood or Carlton... playing with the rough kids.