My first hydro set-up...need advice

Chev

Hi everyone,

I'm new to ozstoners, I'm a Perth Gal. I've said hello to a couple of you already, and thanks to Luke Skywalker. Your pages on recirculating hydro set-up were priceless to me while I was trying to get my shit together!! :P I'm going to begin regular posts from tomorrow, and I'll be posting digital pics up (Thank god! Hate webcams) after I get my camera tomorrow. My babies are on the GO! I managed to score White Widow clones (my favourite!), 8 weeks old and ready to turn. I have a 2 pot set-up under a 400 watt Metal Halide, in a big, old wooden wardrobe. The double door type with a bit of wood between the doors, sturdy! Painted the inside with flat white plastic, bored 5 x 25cm round holes in the bottom of the wardrobe, and then 5 on the bottom of the outside. The wardrobe is hollow underneath, perfect for my ventilation system! Installed an exhaust fan at the top left hand side, and it sucks the air up and through my plants. You can see them through the fan, they move as if their in a nice, gentle breeze. My room has been light-proofed, and I live on a corner block with both back neighbours that smoke and grow, so at least I won't get dobbed in if there is any smell (I doubt it though). I am using Dutchmaster One, a 2 part veg'n'bloom, in an 80 litre light proof tank. I am using 30 litres of water in my reservoir, but tell me if it doesn't sound right. I have a 550 L P/H pump with 1.3 metre head attached to 13 mm polypipe. I made 13mm watering rings with 6mm feed lines, and used 19 mm for the drainage back to my reservoir. I have my pots up on bricks, cause my light isn't adjustable. I'm using expanded clay for my medium.

They've had more than 24 hours now since they were transplanted, so I plan to put them onto 12/12 tonight. They were in a shed under a 1000w HPS light, with about 100 other clones, in pots of coco peat. I'm watering every 3 1/2 hours for half an hour in the light cycle, and twice during the dark cycle. If anyone has any advice or thinks I'm not doing anything right, please tell me!! :P

Thanks!

Chev

Hello there and WELCOME!!!

It sounds like you followed the guide that luke has made very well ;-) I only know this because he made it for me LMAO ;-) and i ahve almost the exact same setup currently ;-)

So far sounds like u are doing the right things.. Although you mentiond that they were origionally in coca peat... How did u go about cleaning the medium off of them if they were 8 weeks old??? How large are they? I will be waiting to see pics of your grow area and plants ;-)

Good luck with everything mate !!!

Thanks Nimer,

I measured them both this morning, one is 33 cm and the other is 20 cm. Did you flush your plants with water before you changed to your flowering solution? With the coco peat I half-filled a 20 litre bucket and sat the plant in it while I gently loosened them. I got as much of the crap out as I could, and my reservoir is muck-free so far...... Thanks for the reply, chat soon!

Chev :P

Firstly, if the plants look healthy in a couple of days the you can't be doing much wrong, personally I would give them a few days veg to let them settle in before flowering. It would also be much easier to have an adjustable light too, how come you can't do that? Great move getting the camera too, look forward to seeing the pictures of your set-up, it sounds similar to one a friend of a friend uses.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

Tom,

I could make the light adjustable, and I probably will soon. On my list of things to do. I was going to wait a couple of days before I changed their cycle, but since I put them in and gave them a trim, they've taken off! They look really healthy. How often do you think the reservoir should be topped up? I'm still a bit unsure about the water and nute levels, and maintaining them. If anyone has any advice....? Thanks for the info! :P

chev

I would top up the resi as needed ;-) whenever it goes down.... As well as changing it weekly to aviod a build up of certain nutes and a shortage of certain nutes....

Look though that guide u read to make the system and u will see a feeder resi :-D i

nimer

Edited by nimer

hey chev81, sounds like you got a sweet setup there, looking forward to some pics. :P

Tom's right (as always), give the clones a chance to establish in your new system before flowering them. Flowering clones prematurely could send them hermie.

also don't forget to take some clones for your next crop before you get too far into flowering.

good luck, although I don't think you'll need it, you seem to have things sorted.

Pipeman,

I didn't know that, about clones going hermie if turned 2 soon. It's taken months of stoned trawling through countless grow sites ect, before I felt comfortable enough to start. This site is by far the best! I should have picked my camera up from my mates place today, damn lazy! It's awesome, Panasonic digital video camera, latest out. Takes perfect still photo shots, and it's easy as shit to use on the computer. I could upload some actual footage, but it might take too long for ppl to download. Anyway, watch this space!! Do many girls wander through these forums? Or am I one of those raritys here?! Thanx for the replies :P It's that time again..................420

hey chev,

Its more about the plant being stressed during flower that will send it hermie. If they are already growing well in your new system it doesn't sound like they're stressed anyway, but best to give them at least a few days to sort out any problems that may become apparent.

Yes there are a few girls who post here. Don't want too many though, more than 2 women in the same place always results in trouble. :P