Sunday Night - Channel 7 @ 6:30pm

I dunno why the indepth post of alcohol struggles/admissions. As I think you'd find quite a few of us have had the battle with the bottle, thoughout our lives. But with saying that, there's not a lot of harm with most people who drink in moderation. Just as long as they know when to pull up.

Though there's an age old saying that rings true. Some people shouldn't drink, just like some people shouldn't do drugs.

There's not a lot of harm with most people that shoot up heroin in 'moderation', as long as they know when to pull up. I don't really think that's the point.

Fact is (for what ever reason) a lot of people don't know when to pull up and when this happens with alcohol the results are very destructive to the person and every one around them. On the other hand, the results of abusing cannabis don't even compare to those of abusing alcohol and in some cases can actually have a positive effect.

You may realize this indycar and there for think it's illogical to point it out. But the problem is the majarity of people in our society for some reason think a drug like alcohol, that has no medical value and has the potential to cause completely healthy people to have psychotic episodes (just from drinking to much) is totally fine. But at the same time think a drug like cannabis that has more value as an all round medicine than any other drug known to man and actually makes a person less likely to act in a violent manner towards others is evil and not fit for human consumption.

So it's extremely important that the reality of the situation is pointed out as much as possible, in every way possible, if we are ever going to change peoples ignorant attitudes, IMO.

So your answer would be to follow the USA's lead back in the 1920's and introduce the prohibition of alcohol. Just because alcohol "has the potential to cause completely healthy people to have psychotic episodes (just from drinking to much)" ?

If I'm hearing you correct, jabez. Your bias opinion is no better than the wankers that are out there bashing cannabis or any other forms of illegal drugs on a daily basis.

The collective versus the individual.

As a collective we must do this, but if i can do that, why cant i do this as well?

the individuals having the right to choose what they wish to do, to there own mind and body

and as long as its not causing or encouraging harm to others, why should we judge and make it into a PROBLEM

my 2 cents

So your answer would be to follow the USA's lead back in the 1920's and introduce the prohibition of alcohol.

I never said or implied that I thought prohibition of any drug is the way to go!

I'm talking about getting people to realize that the line the government draws between alcohol and illegal drugs is completely imaginary and politcally motivated. You always here people say "drugs and alcohol", as if alcohol isn't a drug. When it should actually be alcohol and 'other' drugs.

It should be a persons right to injest whatever drug they want. But at the same time drugs do need some sort of regulation. IMO, what professor david nutt has suggested would be the best form of regulation, which is to have drugs on a list starting with the drugs that pose the most threat to society at the top and the drugs that pose the least threat at the bottom.

If there was a list like this made based on science and hard evidence, rather than person morals, then alcohol would be at the top end of the list and cannabis would be at the bottom end of the list. Pointing this out to people is a matter of public safety and in no way implies that you support the prohibition of any drug.

I commend you on your last post, jabez. lol

It's just that all too often that cannabis activists like borrow on alcohol problems to try and give cannabis a leg up. Which is totally the wrong approach, in this day 'n age (IMO). Personally, I tend to think cannabis should judged on it's own with no comparisons of any other drugs. As most of us here know, there's more positives than negitives in regards to cannabis. When you start bringing alcohol into the debate, I tend to think we're playing right into the hands of the Fed/State Govs and various other mobs like NCPIC. Cannabis Activists tend to highlight where we've gone wrong with alcohol, and I'm pretty convident that they (Krudd and Associates) would say something along the lines of.. "Y'know, your right. Lets not run the risk of making the same mistake with cannabis (like we did with alcohol) and either keep the laws the way they are, or even possibly impose tougher laws."

That's why I tend to believe Activists shouldn't go down that avenue. As they (Gov) have made mistakes in the past with alcohol and now they're trying to turn that around. Also, don't forget in this current political climate. We, citizens of Australia are losing civil rights at an alarming rate. Just don't go give them more ammo to make things tougher on us all.

That's my angle, no doubt many would disagree.

Cut pub/club opening closing hours back to 12 midnight and legalise weed.

Of course the pub owners would squeal like little bitches cos it would interfere with their greed but tough shit, why should they get rich at such a cost to society?

Nooby, do you have an inkling to what BS is imposed on a Publican, and have any idea of the running costs they've got to cover, even before they make a dollar? If it wasn't for pokies. Pubs and/or Publicans would be far 'n few between. They're certainately not making a killing out of alcohol sales.

As for Nightclubs, they do benefit somewhat from inflated prices, but also a lot is generated by entry fees. Their overheads would be no less than what a publicans would be.

Just seen it as well. They had nothing more to add, other than throw the words 'evidence' and 'new findings' around. While not presenting either to the viewing audience. Though they did ramble on about nothing while looking over some brain scans. :bow:

Pretty ordinary stuff, from pretty ordinary people trying to justify their existence/careers. :)