Aeroponics First Grow - Need Advice!

hmmm I seem to be getting more and more convinced that hydro might be the way to go for a first time grow..

Is it still possible to get good plant size control through hydro? Could a scrog be used for this? optimally... I'd like to keep them under 75cm... 1m max

Just another thought too... was reading through other posts and someone had noted been able to use Fluro lighting !?

Is this true? Anyone know much about this / how much fluro lights to use / how it affects the growth rate & crop output?

Alot of questions around that... but certainly it'd be nice if possible just due to the fact of it been majorly cheaper to run 24/7 as opposed to running a 400-600watt hps.

Reasoning for that is unfortunately, due to living circumstances I need to hide my grow & an extra 100 + dollars on the power bill from running that kind of light isn't going to help me hide it so well =P haha.. I've even considered options like a petrol generator, solar lighting to somehow store energy and use it as a battery for lighting or such... though they are both expensive options =( ... ahhh... if only weed was legal...

To be honest, twd1. You're straying away with wild ideas. lol

When saying that, i'm not having a go at you. But moreso, pointing out to a mistake that a lot of noobs make. And that's taking too many ideas on board, while forgeting about the basic fundamentals that is required to grow plant/s. Your not the first 'n I doubt you'll be the last.

Yes you can grow canna under fluro's. But ask yourself. Do you wanna just grow plants that survive, or do you want to grow plant/s to the best of their potential?

hahaha.. I tend to do that :D I like to explore all avenues, as I said the main reason for considering that was due to how much running a 400 watt to 600 watt light is going to affect the power bill.. does anyone have any experiences with this of roughly how much running 1 400watt light will chuck on to the quaterly bill?

So it'd be likely that fluro's would have a big affect on the crop produced, I thought as much ^_^

Optimally though yes, I want to get the best potential out of the plants as I'm only growing 2 - 4 and not to mention im sure that if there is a way to control height growth that would have some limitations on crop output also...

But referring to Chato's post.. if I got 10 oz.. I'd be pretty happy =P lol

Overall.. I prob don't smoke that much, but I hate when it's dry and theres nothing around and I kinda wanted to do this for the experience too.

Yup, not saying it's a bad idea exploring many avenues. Just that if you wanna grow canna effectively, it'd be best to stick with tried 'n true methods. These projects like Aeroponics, growing with fluro's etc are probably best done as side projects. That way, if something doesn't turn out as expected. You always have an 'old faithful' grow to fall back on.

Umm, as for powerbills. I recently ran a 1x400w HPS, 1x600w HPS with fans, pumps etc. And my quarterly bills were coming in around the $650 mark (for the entire household). I've since dropped the 400w, and hoping to get my bill under $600 next time.

But yeah, if your looking for a good all round setup. I'd be inclined to point you in the direction of Chato's DWC setup. You could get away with 2 to 4 20L DWC buckets under a 400w HPS. That would get you the results you are after. If not, step it up some and double your lumen output by getting yourself a 600w.

lol

fair call mate, fair call.

and good point... the last thing we'd want is to run out due to experimental projects on the main crop xP

Ahhh okay, sorry I spose what I should of said is .. How much of a difference has it made? Or how much $$$ has it added before you where growing?

Do you keep your lights on 24/7 or?

I'll definitely take a look into Chato's set up & does the amount of lumens have a large affect on growth rates / crop output? - I'd be very inclined to think yes but just to confirm... if so it may perhaps be worth it to just get a 600 watt to start?