Aeroponics First Grow - Need Advice!

Hey all!

So I've done lot's of reading up and I'm quite convinced to try out aeroponics for my first grow... mainly because I already have much of the spray heads and such already from a herb garden.. not this kind of herb though xP

Looking around I came across a interesting set up...

6" PVC piping with 3.5" holes cut ever 12" with 3" pots for the plants.. in conjunction of course with misters and then training into a reservoir.

apparently they where flowering at 12 - 16" - which is good for me and brings me to another question.. is there a way to control plant size whilst still getting a good yield? I don't want massive plants in my wardrobe.. I'd like something more manageable.. but at the same time I want a good yield from it too.

So... I'm hoping this method can keep the plants a little more manageable and my aim would be to put this in a wardrobe...

Grow 4 plants in 1 6" diameter 1.2 - 1.5 meter long pvc pipe as recommended with 3" pots, 2 misters per plant, 1 each side.. I'd guess around a 25 - 50 liter reservoir, prob 400 - 600 watt grow light im guessing + some fans for ventilation, carbon filter to dilute odor.

Am I missing anything?

Looking forward to hearing responses, advice and comments =D

I'd go for either a tub and external rez or an up/down aero system in a cupboard as opposed to a pvc system as i think it would be a bit of a hassle, although i;m sure it could be done.

Aero is best suited for shorter plants an usually a sog style which means lots plants. It;s not suited to larger plants usually as the root mass interferes with the drainage and the sprayers once it gets too big. The advantage though is the explosive bushy growth and therefore less veg time.

Light, veg time, space and strain are bigger factors in your eventual yield than the system itself but you can use techniques like sog or scrog to maximize yield and in your case scrog is prolly the best bet although i personally wouldn;t bother i;d let the aero do the work. 400w should get ya roughly 10z's imo

Are you aware that water temp is critical in aero? One of the main reaons it;s not an overly popular method in Oz...

peace

c

Hmmm, I'm aware of a tub aero system, but what would is a up down aero system? Do you have a link to any builds by any chance?

And yeah, I'd thought about using a scrog - in regards to plant size, are you saying you need to choose smaller plants or more somewhat control the growth with use of a scrog or such? (Just from all the strains I've seen for the most part they all go over 1m)

Would be great if it means less time to veg though..

- Do you have any suggestions on strains for this kind of grow? I've been looking at a few..

* Master Kush

* Silver Haze

* Bubble Gum

I wasn't aware that water temp was critical though, do you know what temp it should be around?

- Could this be fixed with a fish tank heater in the reservoir tank set to the right temp?

Thanks for your comments and advice =D

I wasn't aware that water temp was critical though, do you know what temp it should be around?

- Could this be fixed with a fish tank heater in the reservoir tank set to the right temp?

Thanks for your comments and advice =D

if the water was too cold, usually in oz we have the opposite problem of the water heating up too much, im about to give a DWC ago and i have a portable aircon to keep the water cool, depends on where you are in australia, as to what you need to do, im aiming to keep my water between 20 and 25 degrees, but that is with the aid of portable aircon ducting straight to the side of the box...

Hmm definitely, I'm in Bris - QLD... so most definitely the water will be too warm here, possibly something like this could be a solution - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Aquarium-Chiller-He...=item2c5304ab31

aquarium cooler used for marine tanks... could get the water to right temp and keep it stable.

so around 20 - 25 degrees is optimal grow temp?

well chato is the expert, but thats what im aiming for with dwc, that marine chiller looks like it could be the go, there are lots to take into consideration with aeroponics i hope your ready. i was gonna try it but decided for first time hydro grow that dwc is ALOT easier and alot less to go wrong...

hmmm, yeah I was considering Hydro... I think my biggest concern really is I want to keep these plants smaller, I may still consider doing hydro over aero for fact of it been a bit simpler for a noobie... I'd die if i did aero got plants growing and then they died and I didn't even get any =( haha

22C seems the magic number when it comes to water/nute temperatures. As for the water chiller, you also got to factor in the heat, that will probably generated by the heat exchanger. Not such a concern though, if water chiller is out of the grow area, in another room.

To save a bit of headwork and considering your location, I'd be inclined to use an A/C, like what guitash has penciled in, into his setup. That's if I was going to have a genuine crack at Aeroponics, that is.

Just another thought too... was reading through other posts and someone had noted been able to use Fluro lighting !?

Is this true? Anyone know much about this / how much fluro lights to use / how it affects the growth rate & crop output?

Alot of questions around that... but certainly it'd be nice if possible just due to the fact of it been majorly cheaper to run 24/7 as opposed to running a 400-600watt hps.

Reasoning for that is unfortunately, due to living circumstances I need to hide my grow & an extra 100 + dollars on the power bill from running that kind of light isn't going to help me hide it so well =P haha.. I've even considered options like a petrol generator, solar lighting to somehow store energy and use it as a battery for lighting or such... though they are both expensive options =( ... ahhh... if only weed was legal...

Edited by twd1

hmmm, yeah I was considering Hydro... I think my biggest concern really is I want to keep these plants smaller, I may still consider doing hydro over aero for fact of it been a bit simpler for a noobie... I'd die if i did aero got plants growing and then they died and I didn't even get any =( haha

It might be best for now, to choose a more simplistic hydro setup. Because I do believe you have to be at the top of your game. To consider Aeroponics seriously in Australia. Many others will tell you differently though.

lol