25 year old seeds

OK, you made me paranoid so I had to go knock up a spreadsheet. Lose 50% of your viable seed for 3 periods and you've lost 87.5% but the bit about a 10% loss per period equalling 50% loss over 7.2 periods is wrong. The 'rule of 72

' does not seem applicable in reverse.

'the rule of 72' is a mathematical curiousity most people who invest money know about. For any interest rate, within bounds, if you divide the interest rate into 72 you get the period where the investment will double, approximately.

Invest $1000 at 3.6%/annum and in 20yrs you'll have ~$2000.

Invest $1000 at 20%/annum and in 3.6yrs you'll have ~$2000.

Invest it at 10%/annum and it takes 7.2yrs to double.

Math doesn't work in reverse however. Lose 10%/annum and it's more like 6.5yrs to lose half.

I guess that would help if you were trying to grow a money tree. But he's not. Variables such as how it was stored, at what point did it end up in the container? Are they actually old seeds that never sprouted in the first place? hence why they were left and subsequently forgotten about. Does this container have adequate seals in tact?, where was this cupboard stored for such a long period of time... As outside influence would certainly play a part.

How long have you had them soaking for now? I would be inclined to think that anything that hasn't sprouted by about 10-14days is no longer a viable seed. As I stated, with so many variables that u can't be 100% sure on, it would be hard to determine what prevented them from sprouting.

Go see what else ur Mum got hidden in the shed and see what happens with that ^_^

best of luck

^_^ Pebbz :)

post-11113-1260113292_thumb.jpg TwinTech Fertilizer

TwinTech Fertilizer & TwinTech Plus provide complete nutrition, root stimulation and conditioning of the nutrient to ensure rapid early growth and maximum survival.

A rich formulation of the essential nutrients including the spectrum of ‘inorganics’

Maximizes nutrient uptake by buffering root-zone pH below 6.5.

Use at 5ml per litre (1 tsp/ qrt).

post-11113-1260114196_thumb.jpg OxyPlus

I have used HySan instead of OxyPlus but couldn't find a pic. Use at the rate recommended for sanitising media 2-3ml per litre

Soak the seeds in a Chux towel with a mixture of the HySan or OxyPlus and Twin Tech Fertiliser. The Hydrogen Peroxide wipes out ALL bacteria so nothing can attack the seed. The Twin Tech has the right mix of in-organic nutrients to assist in improving survival rates.