25 year old seeds

sorry guys, no dice, been soaking for four days and not a lil bit of life but ill leave them be for another 4 or 5 days jus to see... wouldnt be a primo smoke anyways, not like the pumped up seeds you see these days. although i cracked a few, some crumbled but some had little white babies inside but i think its been way to long... Edited by keg

wouldnt be a primo smoke anyways, not like the pumped up seeds you see these days...

:unsure: I would'nt say that. I've been growing and smoking alot of yrs and yes there is some nice newer genetics but there was just as good and in alot of cases better kicking around oz back then. Indoor growing has just meant an increase in the constant supply of "commercial quality mediocre indicas and indica hybrids" The real quality genetics in Oz, is tied up in the hands of personal growers or sitting in draws like the seeds you have. Back from before the gene pool was so heavily polluted with dutch genetic. Yours might be old and unviable but just because they are old doesn't mean they wernt good genetics.....

Don't fall for the "oh the pot now is so much stronger than it was back then" bullshit. All that has changed is the average has leveled to a higher average. There used to be crap around (most was grown outdoors..the seasons predicted the final harvest quality even if the genetics were good) but there was some amazing stuff too (almost psychedelic to smoke)...stuff you wont get in oz now buying commercial buds. You had to take the good with the bad. Indoor has reduced the amount of bad is all. Unfortunately at the expense of the amazing stuff.

If you can get old seeds then try and grow them.......its a lucky dip but you might just find something special too.

Peace MongyMan

:unsure: I would'nt say that. I've been growing and smoking alot of yrs and yes there is some nice newer genetics but there was just as good and in alot of cases better kicking around oz back then. Indoor growing has just meant an increase in the constant supply of "commercial quality mediocre indicas and indica hybrids" The real quality genetics in Oz, is tied up in the hands of personal growers or sitting in draws like the seeds you have. Back from before the gene pool was so heavily polluted with dutch genetic. Yours might be old and unviable but just because they are old doesn't mean they wernt good genetics.....

Don't fall for the "oh the pot now is so much stronger than it was back then" bullshit. All that has changed is the average has leveled to a higher average. There used to be crap around (most was grown outdoors..the seasons predicted the final harvest quality even if the genetics were good) but there was some amazing stuff too (almost psychedelic to smoke)...stuff you wont get in oz now buying commercial buds. You had to take the good with the bad. Indoor has reduced the amount of bad is all. Unfortunately at the expense of the amazing stuff.

If you can get old seeds then try and grow them.......its a lucky dip but you might just find something special too.

Peace MongyMan

You summed that up perfectly, Mongy.

keg, I tried a similar thing a few years ago when I found a 15 year old stash in my old shed. Zero sprouted but I'd leave them at least 2 weeks before giving up. The older the seed the longer they usually take to sprout. Good luck.

cheers guys! i done some googling and found an article in which they claimed to have propagated maze from century old seeds found in an Egyptian burial crypt, so i guess in the right conditions you can store seeds for long periods of time... keg.

yeah, but those 'several centuries old' seeds were stored in a pyramid.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA

OK, I _think_ the 'official story' is that you lose ~10% of viable seed each 12-18mths, under decent storage conditions.

The mum who produced your seed produced 1000 seeds, of which you have 100.

Let's be optimistic and go for 18mths. 18mths later 100 of those 1000 are inviable, BUT, you're just lucky and don't have any of the failures.

If my 'rules of thumb' recall is correct a 10% failure rate per annum means a halving every 7.2 yrs, so after 7.2yrs 50% of mum's seed is inviable, but because you're lucky you've not yet lost a single one.

7.2yrs later another 250 have failed, but due to luck you've still lost none.

21.6 years after harvest 875 of 1000 would have failed, ya lucky bastard, you still have 100 viable seeds.

How lucky do you feel? (punk)