clones changing sex

plants just dont change sex..

you have hermies.. and theres various types.. or levels of hermaphrodite.. on a plant.. you get alternating nodes.. when these nodes come closer together its a sign saying the plant is ready to flower... at the crook of these nodes is where the plant will show sex.. so you have the main stem.. with a branch growing out.. you have a sex site on both sites of this branch.. also you get 2 sex sites on the opposite branch.. thus giving you 4 sites that determine what sex a plant is..

is this making sense yet?

ok.. when you can see a calyx with 2 white hairs sticking out.. this is a female sexual organ.. when you have this appearing at ALL 4 sex sites.. you got a PURE female..

when you see a ball.. looks almost like a football.. or a bunch of grapes.. this is the male sexual organ.. and yes you guessed it... when you have this showing at ALL 4 sites you got a PURE male

simple isnt it...

then you start getting the mixtures of both sexes appearing.. this is a hermie.. a TRUE hermie showing both sexes... 2 female.. and 2 male organs.. which of course can appear in 2 ways.. either 2 female organs on one side.. and 2 males on the other.. or crossed in an opposite.. so one female and male on each side..

but it doesnt stop there...

you then get pistillate hermie.. which will show 3 female organs and 1 male organ.. still a hermie.. but more female than male.. in a desperate situation you can use this to make seeds.. not recomended , but if you cant use anything else this can be used..

then you get a staminate hermie.. you see where this is going dont you?,, you guessed it.. 3 male organs to 1 female organ.. again.. if extremely desperate can be used for seeds.. but not really desirable..

yes.. you guessed it.. but wait theres more...

then you get what every one thinks is the plant changing sex.. and here id like to just reiterate that PLANTS JUST DO NOT CHANGE SEX...

you get a pure female.. that grows fine.. but you see these little tiny yellow flowers.. resembling a banana.. we in Australia call these.. 'bananas'.. these are a male flower.. but unlike a PURE male.. it contains very little.. if any male pollen.. the pollen collected from these bananas is what seed banks use to make feminized seeds... this is usually.. well almost entirely caused through stress.. its not the plant changing sex.. its the plant delving into a survival mode to try and procreate before the stress kills it.. pretty nifty hey..

i hope this clears up the confusion...

I thought a Uni-sex plant was one which showed both male and female flowers independanly.

And a hermaphrodite is a plant with both male and female flowers in the bud?

That's just information represented out Jorge Cervantes book,

I think the section was authored by Chimera seed bank.

Regards,

Cyclone

Unisex is the incorrect term, really we should be using the terms monoecious (both sexes on one plant) and dioecious (distinct male and female plants). Cannabis comes in both forms, with hermaphroditism genetics being rather widespread but not obvious without proper environmental conditions making them express it. Most commercially available genetic lines in narcotic cannabis would be considered dioecious but poor breeding and/or environmental conditions can bring out male flowers on what have otherwise been "pure" female varieties. This is usually just a scattering of male flowers or even just the occasional "banana" or pollen producing stamen appearing in a cluster of female flowers. The pollen collected from such mutant male flowers should always be viewed with suspicion as a breeding source, as it is likely to contain the genetic traits for hermaphroditic expression. Feminised seed production is harder than most people give credit for and in my most humble opinion should probably not be encouraged for the sake of diversity and breeding purity. Many good breeders produce feminised seeds but be wary of "backyard" feminisation unless you are confident in the breeders ability and record keeping, as it can be easy to produce a line which carries those latent monoecious genes.

Sexing at vegetative stages is always a tricky judgement call, but best advice I can give is this. You can know you have a male pretty quickly, you can even tell if you have a hermaphrodite (monoecious) relatively easily. But the only way to KNOW you have a female plant which doesn't show any male expression is to grow it out fully and harvest it. Even as late as 6 weeks into an 8 week cycle you can have male flowers appear on an otherwise happy and healthy female plant. Full seed development takes anything from 3-6 weeks depending on variety and conditions, but even half formed seeds which are produced from a late pollination can make for unpleasant results.

I think the OP probably made a mistake in labeling and just have clones of a male in your hands. Most female plants will have at least the genetic potential to produce male flowers with the right stimulus, but to go from an essentially female plant to one that is essentially male doesn't really happen. There's all kinds of hermies out there from 1% male 99% female and vice versa but it would be extraordinary to reverse the expression en masse.

I suggest a notebook, some labels/tags and good record keeping to ensure such mistakes don't happen again.

seen

i too believe that sex is controled by genitics it is either X or Y cromosomes that determin male or female plants

however

there are certain enviromental conditions that can force a plant to try to produce seeds

after all that is its main goal in life,---> to reproduce and forward its geens

seen

growing sensamilla is in direct conflict with this natural process

i feel

this management practice of removing the males before pollination will cause this hermaphrodite problem to grow and express with each successive generation

over time this practice will cause a genitic predisposition to hermaphrodite to get stronger

hermaphrodite will be seen expressed stronger in each generation

the solution is to pollinate her with 100% male pollen

that seams to wipe the slate clean and return the plant to a M50% FM50% ration for the following generation

pure male pollen---> get the seeds

then reutrn back to the sency practice of removing the males

i find that after 3 generations of seedless practices--> hermaphrodite is getting too far out of control to be viable anymore

so then i pollenate with 100% male and start again with the refreshed seed

irey guidance

opppz double post

sorri got cut off during the post when i logged back on it posted again

i find that after 3 generations of seedless practices--> hermaphrodite is getting too far out of control to be viable anymore

so then i pollenate with 100% male and start again with the refreshed seed

that how it workz for i

irey guidance

Edited by Radic

Even as late as 6 weeks into an 8 week cycle you can have male flowers appear on an otherwise happy and healthy female plant. Full seed development takes anything from 3-6 weeks depending on variety and conditions

My recent Blueberry had about 5 male flowers appear on week 11,

She was obviously hanging out for pollination as at 12 weeks we harvested

her with nice milky trichcomes. I don't think she wanted to swell much more ;)