First "serious" outdoor grow

Hey all

Some pics of my first serious attempt. 3-4 weeks in now and the plant seems to be going fine. No idea what strain it is? I've planted it in some soil that is mixed with veggie compost and have just been feeding it on rainwater every few days when the soil dries out a bit. The pics don't show it but around the main stem where the leaves fan out there seems to be little hairs a few millimeters long appearing, female? or too early to tell for sure? I was also wondering whether those spots from the dust storms are of any concern?

cheers

post-28883-1254100768_thumb.jpg

post-28883-1254100797_thumb.jpg

wait for other comment but that soil doesn't look too appetising to me. Could just be lighting/camera though.

I'm surprised you say 'just rainwater', there appears to be a bit of salt buildup around the edge where soil meets pot.

You suggest damage from the dust storm. I would not expect such. Interested in what others have to say. Mainly because we would need to find another reason for your spots (is it related to the slight salt residue?).

Dust storm comment also puts you in Sydney, and though we're still on relatively short days I would not expect a plant that size to be expressing sex.

thanks for the replies

I'm in se qld we got some dust up here. Only reason I think it was from that was because it isn't appearing on any of the new leaves. Not too sure about the soil myself though the plant seems to be growing new leaves everyday so I assume its alright for it?

Those little hairs are green, I think they are stipules (just googled it)

I have an issue with my other plant. It looks healthy and has nice colour except for that lower leaf, which turned yellow and dried out a few days back. The plant itself doesn't seem to be growing anymore. The larger one is putting on new sets of leaves everyday, this one's current leaves have barely grown in the last few days

They're both in direct sunlight, same water, same soil.

This is the larger one

post-28883-1254621541_thumb.jpg

This is my problem child

post-28883-1254621678_thumb.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated?

You haven't said what you have in the bottom of the pots for drainage. Also have a small dig around and see if your soil is being watered evenly some times the water channels out from the bottom without it actually wetting the soil. You might need to add a bit of feed also. :D PH could also be an issue.

You haven't said what you have in the bottom of the pots for drainage. Also have a small dig around and see if your soil is being watered evenly some times the water channels out from the bottom without it actually wetting the soil. You might need to add a bit of feed also. :peace: PH could also be an issue.

good point gills, and while they are pretty small now would be a decent time too get ontop of fixing that. consider buying some perlite too mix through the soil, this will generally help the water spread more evenly, as well as allow air into the root area. And some pebbles(or perlite) in the base for drainage with apiece of shadecloth underneath is great, the shadecloth means no mess, the perlite drains very well. It was pointed out earlier that the soil doesnt look particularly appealing and i would have too agree, yet the plants dont seem too mid too much :peace:. But i think mixing some perlite through the pot would be a good option.

And as for PH, goto anywhere which has a little DIY dripper PH test that ranges from 5.0-8.0 and test your water, mine fluctuates between 6.5 and 8 day too day, some PH down is great. You can mix up a large container of water and balance it so that you can use it in the future, just make sure too check before each water as evaporation may have adjusted the PH.