Interesting way to Flower

Kai

So incidentally I had to use a 1000WMH for 2 weeks before I could purchase a new 1000WHPS bulb and ballast to replace the old ones that busted. We all know MH creates lankier plants and HPS creates bulkier bushier plants. If your trying to get the most weight out of a grow, try throwing under a MH for two weeks during flowering. Youll get that extra 4 inches of stem growth (approx) which adds more weight to your final harvest. IT DOES stress the plants, adds an extra 30 days (approx) to your overall harvest. Whereas mine would have taken 60-70, they are now going to be somewhere in the range of 90-100days flower, but nice 16in (sorry from USA) colas on top :bongon:

Just a thought...

Oh, and I've read the aussies think the americans are paranoid....YES we are, with good reason. Its becoming a goddamn police state over here....

rather than your 1000W HPS I'd run 2*400 HPS and 1*400 MH.

Gives a little 'blue' to your red room.

Spreads light distribution.

and in this case ups your total wattage.

Edit: and heck, the MH could be 250. To give similar total powe consumption but maybe an improved flavour light.

Edited by BaronS

Well thats an interesting idea. I have 2 250WHPS, but I really still dont plan on using them. Perhaps the 400WMH I have could be used with the 1000WHPS. Have to give it a go next round. For now things are set.

Perhaps I didn't say it but the 1000WMH flowering was an accident and was a setback...but if your looking for more weight (for some, weight means money) it might -might- make that much of a difference...kinda shady though :bongon:

I wouldn't do it again...it is just an idea for others....

Now a MH and 1000WHPS together doesn't sound bad...no setback more weight and probably more buds....

So incidentally I had to use a 1000WMH for 2 weeks before I could purchase a new 1000WHPS bulb and ballast to replace the old ones that busted. We all know MH creates lankier plants and HPS creates bulkier bushier plants. If your trying to get the most weight out of a grow, try throwing under a MH for two weeks during flowering. Youll get that extra 4 inches of stem growth (approx) which adds more weight to your final harvest. IT DOES stress the plants, adds an extra 30 days (approx) to your overall harvest. Whereas mine would have taken 60-70, they are now going to be somewhere in the range of 90-100days flower, but nice 16in (sorry from USA) colas on top :bongon:

Just a thought...

Oh, and I've read the aussies think the americans are paranoid....YES we are, with good reason. Its becoming a goddamn police state over here....

I don't really follow your line of thinking? vegging plants under MH, lankiness was never a problem, florescents sure but MH???

Also it's the dark period that determines whether a plant flowers or reveges etc, I don't understand where your getting this extra 30 day bit from? I'd be putting the extra flowering time down to your lamp problems and not the type of lamps and the bigger buds due to 30 days longer in grow :peace:

I have always heard that Metal Halide is for vegetative moreso because the plant grows tall under that light, as if it were summertime. The fall colored light spectrum of HPS is used moreso for flowering because it, obviously, has the spectrum of fall when marijuana naturally harvests. Thus you would use MH for veg and HPS for flowering. When using a MH for flowering, your plant will bud, but it also continues to grow 'up' at a greater rate than with HPS. So if carried through the entire flowering period, you end up with longer, rather than denser, buds.

My 1000WMH had to be used for 2 weeks because the bulb and ballast I had for my 1000WHPS were goners. What that seemed to do was grow them taller, stretch the buds out. If I had continued to use the MH I would have stringier buds. Since I have started using the 1000WHPS again, they have begun to thicken out once again and begin to produce more plump of fruits :bongon:

Thatsit...in a nutshell.

Ahhh ok now I follow. Well your in the land where indoor growing was perfected, forget about Holland the Yanks have been breeding quality Cannabis plants indoors and out for a fricken long time. Seems some of the fussier growers, like BaronS said, recommend finishing under the dual spectrums, especially when it comes to sativas as they reckon it brings out a better finished bud due to equatorial sativas having more even sunlight all year.

Personally I think it's splitting hairs and would be skeptical about any real weight gains, HPS has finished off sativas indoors here just fine, but if your onto something why not do a few grow diaries and we'll see for ourselves :bongon: that's what it's all about

I could definitely see it used for the sativa for the reason you state, unfortunately I do not know the indica/sativa of my plant. It appears sativa dom but may also be very 50/50. Its a Master Kush/Shishkaberry hybrid. Pollinated by a hermie of one, couldnt tell you which :bongon:

Just took a look tonight and see that the upper buds in the top 4-6in. of the cola, are further underdeveloped, likely given that is the new growth from the MH.

I am in fact aspiring to post a grow diary, starting with the next batch of DWC clones (4 exactly) going into flowr within the next 5 days. beastly fuckers.

though there may be a difference sativa vs indica I think maybe there's a distraction value there. I 1st grew under lights ~20yr ago and though I was not aware of many others doing same all those I knew, doing it well, mixed HPS and MH during both stages (veg & flo) but most probably changed the mix.

6-4 favouring MH for veg.

6-4 favouring HPS for flo.

The main thing to remember is that the 2 different lights supply light to each of 2 frequency ranges mainly used by plants. MH has more blue but the red is close to same value, HPS are significantly red and very little blue. Though it is recognised that red is beneficial for flo the plants still needs some blue, and IMHO pure HPS just doesn't have enough blue.

When recently looking to return to indoor growing I spent quite a bit of reading time on the now much more easily available information, and settled on CFL for my small cupboard. One factor effecting this choice was the ease of changing my light colours. I'm yet to prove the choice as right, gimme another 30 days and I'll be more confident in my opinion, whichever way it falls.

There's another idea for HPS enthusiasts, spread a couple of easily implemented 6500K CFLs around your room.

I expect any such mixed light to beat an either/or use, even if you changed colours on some unusual schedule.

Very good point on the CFL's BaronS. All my BS grows were done completely with CFL, but honestly I do still implement them (not this time, they all broke and im broke as well :peace: ). Typically I will hang them underneath the lower parts of the plants, hung right between all plants (careful not to burn!) and providing that much needed light boost to the underbuds (those buds that could be something).

I remember using CFLs behind a computer desk in my bedroom at my parents, behind the dresser, in a cardboard box, in the closet, etc. They are handy if thats all thats around really; I feel. If you have your own place or someone elses place or a place of your own somewhere else (:bongon:) use the larger grolights.

Good luck Baron, how many of them suckers you running on how many plants?

We all know MH creates lankier plants and HPS creates bulkier bushier plants.

Funny thing is I have always found the opposite, MH gives a lower wider growth pattern, HPS more upright and stretchy.

:bongon:

I am a fan of combination lighting though, I run 1x 600w mh / 1x 600w hps for flower and find it is better than just HPS.