Effects of Marijuana

Chai

Question

I am not that naïve and inconsequent young girl that start to smoking marijuana anymore...

I am getting into that stage where the hunger to conceive a child is warning me.

I was reading a book from the Foresight Programme, and I am concerned about the effects of Marijuana especially in women:

“Marijuana’s impairing cellular effects on DNA can result in incomplete genetic information being transmitted to the offspring”. Dr. Gabriel Nahas

Cannabis is four times more dangerous to your health than cigarette smoking. It dumps three times more tar in the lungs and five times more carbon monoxide. The key psychoactive substance in cannabis is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) – this component has the same steroid structure found in the sex hormones and in certain hormones of the adrenal glands. THC accumulates in the ovaries and testes.

In women cannabis can upset the menstrual cycle. In men lowers blood testosterone, lowers sperms count, causes greater than usual impotency and diminished libido. Sperm motility is also affected and there is an increase in number of abnormal sperm.

Cannabis effects the synthesis of DNA – whether used by the man or woman. In animals, studies have demonstrated the link with increased fetal death and malformations.

I guess I’ll need to quit in the near future.

lol

Regarding the study- 1980-......29yrs old (maths isn't my strongest point). Maybe more research into this subject is required?

Respect I don't have the ability to carry children(wrong bits lol )! If I was gifted with the ability I would like to think that I would absolve from all mind altering substances till after birth and continue if breastfeeding. It must be said though that it would be difficult to 'quit' if the pregnancy wasnt' planned.

i dont think you anything to worry about, cannabis doesnt do any of that stuff in that article.

i remember a study of jamaican women that showed cannabis use while pregnant led to less abnormalities or complications during birth :)

it might seem irresponsible to some but i say just dont use rediculous amounts of it lol

but even then, i dont think its bad.

ha ha ha

just read pandora's link, thats the one i was thinkin of

Edited by Bazza

Chai,

Just my 2c but if you're not willing and happy to abstain from all drugs including caffeine, alcohol and tobacco while carrying and breastfeeding a child then maybe you should rethink the whole biological clock thing, your child and his/hers health (and your health and wellbeing by extension)should be the first priority in your life. If I've misunderstood where you're at then please disregard my comment. :bongon:

I have had mothers tell me that no way would they use a "drug" whilst pregnant, all the time popping neurofen and panadol for every pain and niggle.

Depending on why you use cannabis would be the deciding factor for me, is it medicinal or recreational?

I would much rather be born to someone who is using cannabis to medicate, than someone chock full of pharmacuticals.

Similarly someone who uses cannabis to alleviate anxiety or depression, the baby is much better off with mum being calm and rational through pregnancy, rather than cannabis free and suffering, because if mum is suffering then baby is suffering.

Eating the right things and having the right happy calm mental state are the most important factors when it comes to pregnancy IMHO.

Edited by dsyfer