another COCO question

germinated a northern lights seed from SEEDSMAN put it into soil under fluro about 3 weeks later had nice healthy looking plant about 12cm tall.

chucked into COCO perlite mix 70/30 then under the 400w HPS along with a recently crack NL seed into another pot same medium

Results 2 weeks later = WOEFUL ....The larger plant looks like shit has grown a bit taller but that's about it and the seedling is growing very very slowly.post-17285-1247137034_thumb.jpg

PH'd water ec'd nutes don't understand could be a bit of over watering ??

Its not the coco that is the problem and it is extreemly hard to overwater in coco. What are your nute levels and what nutes are you using? It could also be heat stress. What are your temps? Maybe even a magnesium def or something like that.

That smaller plant in the first pic shouldnt be getting any nute yet.

Edited by M_Blaze

Hi John c,

My impressions is too much water and as watering is done with feeding nutrients a little nute burn.

I would check that your pots have adequate drainage - in pots using coco a good 1" of clay pebbles dose the trick at the bottom of the pots.

They certainly need cheering up so rather than flush and get things wetter I personally would have a good dry out.

If your over-nute damage was worse then a flush would be the way I would go, however, since the nute damage appears to me minimal I would opt with with-holding water.

M_Blaze ....Its not the coco that is the problem and it is extreemly hard to overwater in coco

MB - Tell my you juxtaposed the proceeding statement - if you didn't then I will correct you. It's (over-watering) one of the 'warning issued' by the manufacturers of Coco and over-watering/drainage issues is the most frequent problem first time users of Coco report on grow forms world wide. It is far TOO EASY TO OVER-WATER using Coco as a medium.

Nothing wrong with Coco just peeps use of it.

Grow well jc

:scratchin:

Nitty.

Temps are def not a problem this time of year

There was a few mites on the taller one but I zapped them the other day with pyrethum

EC was about 1.6 I think and much less on the seedling

I'm thinking nitty is right about the over watering this I'm sure of but the plants look like other things are messing them up

Another point the NL seedling would be ten times the size it is now had I grown in soil....Nutrients should be minimal if any at all during the first week or so but they just don't grow in the COCO like they do in soil when they are seedlings! you are basically loosing 2 or 3 weeks of growth waiting for the damn things to get their act together where as in soil you would have a nice bushy little plant by now

Think I'll only grow clones in COCO from now on seeds just seem to be a waste of time

Damage in the transplant perhaps? Was the coco thoroughly rinsed before use?

Overwatering does give similar symptoms to those shown. Pyrethrum sprays are usually a bad idea in my experience, as a lot of them contain piperonyl butoxide (sp?) which can be quite hazardous under lights and with some species of plants alltogether. Usually better off with neem or if the infestation is small enough to try to kill the buggers by hand.

But anyway, I'd suggest perhaps the media is too wet, don't be shy of letting things dry out a bit, and also the transplantation. Is that vent nearby the only intake for the room? And what kind of airflow is involved? Perhaps a larger general pic of the room?

Well any water that floods out of the pot can be re-absorbed by the media as the pots are in flat trays.

usually i sit them up on something so this doesn't happen, thanks for bringing that to my attention blaze

Ok maybe I wont use the Pyrethem atleast not at this stage

In regard to the transplantation that plant was is soil before and I tried not to disturb the roots too much except for a little teasing as per the norm..Could soil in the COCO have caused this ??I would't have thought it a big deal.

In regards to the airflow there are 2 vents in one is in the pic the other higher up and 2, 100mm HPM exhaust fans one is getting weaker these days.

I personally believe the over watering is the biggest factor and I also think the strain is not very resiliant which is generally not the case for most plants of NL lineage

Well any water that floods out of the pot can be re-absorbed by the media as the pots are in flat trays.

usually i sit them up on something so this doesn't happen, thanks for bringing that to my attention blaze

Ok maybe I wont use the Pyrethem atleast not at this stage

In regard to the transplantation that plant was is soil before and I tried not to disturb the roots too much except for a little teasing as per the norm..Could soil in the COCO have caused this ??I would't have thought it a big deal.

I personally believe the over watering is the biggest factor and I also think the strain is not very resiliant which is generally not the case for most plants of NL lineage

Yeah I would have them always sitting up off the tray. Soil mixed in the coco is no problem. Some people always use a soil coco mix.