Manual Hand Augers

Hi guys i am wanting to get a head start on my outdoor for this year and am thinking of using a manual hand auger but have no idea where i can go get a good one... i found one at mitre10 but for $100 i want something that doesnt look like it would snap if it hit clay or rocks...

do any of you guys use em or have you

and what price you pay for it and where you pic it up from

thanx in advance

nah the noise on those things is killer, plus id never be able to get that in to my plots

manual hand augers is the perfect tool B)

I would look for suppliers that supply augers to various professionals that would use them, soil sampling springs to mind. You can usually buy a tools in various costs. Have a look around for some second hand jobs and you mind find what you are after.

How deep do you want to go?

You learn to appreciate PTO units and 9" Augers when you need to dig a hole quick smart.

Can't get a tractor in there huh :)

Hand augers are fine, if you want to dig a post hole :yinyang: but for plants you want something a little wider, by the time you stuff around doing multiple bores with the auger and trying to join them up you might as well use a shovel (a good garden fork would be a good thing too).

lol

oh, if its hard an auger wont get far, buy a crowbar and get ready for blisters lol

Augers they sell at hardware stores should be ok mate.

But if you are hand driving over rock or hard clay, it will ride over it anyway and you'll be chipping away with a crow bar to get it going again.

Good for fence posts. The shorter ones don't go deep enough though.

Good idea to get some compost or fish down tho, or claybreaker ect. Best of luck.