EC or PPM meter?

Ive decided to go automated and in the past I never mixed up more than 5ltrs at a time so only worried about PH. However, Ive bought a 100ltr resi for my new room so Im guna need to be abit more involved. Ive seen most people giving PPM values but most nutrients give EC. so what sort of meter is best for what i need to do?

Definitely stick with EC as your unit of measure. As Gibbo says, there's 2 different PPM scales....get it wrong and you could fuck things up.

I'd also recommend picking up a Bluelab Truncheon, there around $100. I haven't looked back since I got one and they make for a handy nutrient tank stirrer too ;)

If you want something that does EC and PH then Bluelab also have a unit designed for tank use that does both. It's around $280 though.

personally i prefer a PPM meter, i think its way more accurate.. as my PPM meter measures from 0-1999 ppm... but thats just me and what im used to...

Hahaha, some of the guys here were hanging shit on me for using PPM as opposed to EC, good to see I'm not alone!

It was they way I learnt and old habits are hard to break.

Its almost like Ive started an argument! This one, no this one!

Honestly, i think ive heard more people talking in PPM however it always stuffed me why when most nutrients give a EC measure. If you go PPM you have to convert, so it makes more sense to use EC yet I can see what Skunksuka is saying with accuracy. I think I may go with EC - less confusing

A lifetime guarantee if pretty impressive for 100 bucks and I saw em on ebay this morn. Mind you I saw a HANNA unit that does EC and PH for.... 148 I think.

No argument calm down!........;)

I would recommend EC for someone starting out for the reasons that have been mentioned, I just use PPM purely because thats the way I learnt.

In regards to the HANNA meters, I have found them reliable if u look after them.........currently have a HANNA PH pen thats probably about 2yrs old now.

Edited by yields

I dunno. I started with ppm and have stuck to it. It seems easier to get the exact percentagess in my nutrient.

I mean you have a scale of 1-2000, I have a combo Hanna Gro-Chek I use Ec sometimes just for reference, but I find it easier to apply 100 ppm or 300 ppm of something when im not in .00 decimals with smalller incriments in EC.

I usually run 300 ppm clone/seed, 400-600 after 2 sets of leaves, 600-800 fast grow, then 800-1600 flower depending on plant.

I guess it depends on what your used to or where you live!! I still got love for my Aussie brothers!! PPM RULES