Need someone to vet my proposed setup

Hi all,

Having feverishly read through this site (and others) over the last few weeks I've decided it's time to man-up and get growing my own slice of green heaven. As a bit of a noob in this field I'm hoping people might be able to run an eye over my proposed grow room setup and what I understand to be the best method to grow from seed.

Anyway....here goes.

GROW ROOM SETUP

Grow Tent (1.2x1.2x2m)

600W Sun Master HPS kit (ballast, bulb & batwing shade)

Centrifugal Exhaust Fan (200mm)

Odor Sock Charcoal Filer

QUESTIONS

1. Is 600W overkill for the roomsize?

2. What size of Odor Sock do you think I'll need?

3. Will my single exhaust fan fitted with the Odor Sock provide sufficient heat extraction or should I setup another exhaust system too.

4. I'm relying on negative air pressure to bring in fresh air. Should I setup a couple of fans inside the tent to create some sort of breeze?

PLANTING MEDIUM

2x 30l tub recirculating setups (4 tubs in total)

Perlite (coarse-grade)

Pot socks

HYDRO SETUP

Homemade feeder rings

1x 50l reservoir

Air pump

Water pump

Air ball

GERMINATION/CLONING

I'm growing from seeds and I want to avoid a stand-alone fluro setup so I plan on following this process (no. of days are approx.):

Day 1-Day 5

Soak seeds in glass of water

Day 6

Plant seeds in worm castings/perlite/sawdust mix

Place in grow tent under 600W HPS light

Day 7-Day 19

Water daily with vegetation nutrients (800-1000ppm)

Day 20

Re-pot into individual containers 50/50 Perlite & Rockwool granules

Water daily with vegetation nutrients (1500-1800ppm)

Day 39

Change light schedule to 12/12

Water daily with flowering nutrients (1800ppm)

Day 50

Determine sexes

Remove males

Take clones from females

Change light schedule to 18/6

Plant clones in hydro setup

QUESTIONS

1. How high should the HPS light be from the surface of the planting mix before sprouting?

2. How high should the HPS light be from the seedlings when they break the surface?

3. What light cycle should I use during this phase? 24/0, 16/8?

Does this process sound solid or am I off-track here?

Any thoughts, input and answers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

wouldn't bother with tent , i'd use 35 mm framing timber and plasterboard , painted white . i'd use a good seedling potting mix to raise plants from seed . the light will need to be plus a meter away when plants are young . you will need a fan pulling air in .. pref 200mm or larger . wouldn't worry about watering schedules ... things change

ev :peace:

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I did a bit more reading on the grow tent and most seem to agree it's worthwhile building rather than buying a tent. I guess I have a date with Bunnings this weekend!

Gaz, I read trough your grow diary from '06. Nice crop! Having seen the results you got from your chinamans hat setup I'm convinced!

I should have everything up and running in the next 2 weeks and I'm hoping to do a beginners-style grow diary. Just waiting for my seeds to arrive. Fingers crossed they make it! Speaking of which, I used buydutchseeds.com as they seemed pretty solid. Anyone got any other recommendations?

Hi SoliSticS - I agree also. I have just gone through the decision process over a wood frame (35x75mm Pine Framing Timber) v's a grow-tent.

I've chosen wood. I made this decision a week before the latest ravel over tents began a few weeks ago. 'Tent's' recently got some bad press over "gas leaks" caused buy a combination of heat/light,air flow and the materials they (some brands) were made from. In some tent grows some plants died others were removed & saved. Some brands were ok, others not.

A commonly, but also well meaninglessly misconceived Conspirator's Theory is that the 'Chinese" are out to gas all Marijuana tent owner's in Australia. Didn't they Gazza !

They should sell them (particular brands) with masks. ;) Poor plant though !

You won't regret a good wood decision. ;) The effort is really minimal (tools essential), cost was low (under $220 timber - less the sheeting). "Sheeting" 'It's as far as I have gotten so far - it a go slow build.

A "tent is thinking temporary & short-term" and a "cupboard's thinking more permanent & longterm". I am not giving up growing and I feel pretty permanent here. :peace: B)

As was pointed out to me most recently is to think about your "sheeting sizes" and plan/make with that in mind. Tthis you may already have given that our stated GR size is 1.2x1.2x2m. Nice GR size selection (1.2x1.2x2m). I like head room. After growing in a space that provides you with the ability to walk 360 deg around your plants - that was a luxury - a cupboard may take me some getting used too. ;)

I bought some White Widow and just to cover my bases some White Russian from Highgrade-Seeds. Just waiting to see which order gets to me first.

Let us know how your order goes (turn up) as it's always good to know which seed co's a reliable.

Cheers & Goodluck

;)

Nitty.