Drowning in the sea of nutrients.. kinda lost.. :)

Okay, here's where I'm at.. basically I'm going shopping tomorrow when the cash comes in.. first, I'll be flushing with the ph corrected water.. then we'll see how things go.. but where I'm really getting lost (and showing my true newness to the art of growing) is the whole issue of nutrients.. it seems like everyone's got their own opinions, and it's really hard to make a decision.. I took a look at the dutchmaster site.. and am considering either their gold nutrient range for both grow and flower and their penetrator product for the folair feed (or canna terra instead, whichever, I just thought mixing cannas stuff with the dutchmaster penetrator wouldn't be wise).. .. is this a good way to go? More to the point, what I'd really like to know is how to feed, how much to feed, and given I'm 4-5 weeks into the grow, do I folair as well as feed (which I'm guessing is watering with nutrient and ph corrected water?) and how long do I continue to grow until I start flowering.. and basically, how often do I feed?

Am I over complicating things as a beginner.. or am I just a clueless first-timer? hehe.. I've been doing quite a bit of reading in the wonderful forums here, but am kinda struggling to find good info on "how to grow for the clueless" well, not exactly clueless, just kinda struggling to make heads or tails from it all I guess.. oh and by the way.. after looking at a few "sexing your plant" pics on the net.. looks like I've got a pair of females.. B) Anyways, as always, would love some advice.. and please forgive my newness.. the whole nutrient things just a little daunting is all.. :D.. cheers!

B)

Edited by smokeymcpot

when it comes to nutrients you just need to make sure you get the right one for the medium you are growing in. take canna's range for example, they have terra for soil, vega and flores for hydro and a coco specific nutrient as well. all are pretty much the same thing, just designed for different methods of growing to ensure you get the most out of your plants :D

when it comes to brands they are all very simular, but someare alot better than others. i personally recommend canna, dutchmaster or canadian xpress. i have had great results using all 3 brands before B)

keep it simple , you dont have to foliar feed at all, the plants wont feel neglected ( remember its just a weed).... cocco should have a specific nutrient , other mediums its no matter except soil an that contains its own nutrients but they may be exhausted over a period of a grow so it can be fed periododcally with some rose fertilizer perhaps ...

two main cycles the plant goes thru , vegative growth where the plant is just building a structure and predominantly likes a grow formula strong in nitrogen .... then when light hours decrease plant changes gear over a coupla weeks and moves into the flowering stage where potasium and phospherous are gobbled up by the plant to make buds ...

so most good quality hydro nutes are desingned to cater for these phases and come in two parts A and B, only mixed when made up with water , you will need two bottles( A&:D of Grow formula ... and two bottles (A&B) of Flower formula

anything more is just extras imo

brands ? well most mainstream nutes are ok , personelly i use and reccomend Growth Technology Optimun nutrients , high quality and Aussie made in WA

good onya mc pot, i like ya name

B)

I think Growth Technologies Optimum nutes are an easy way to grow, I used them when I started. They have good buffer to drop the pH to a useable level. Just mix A in, then B at the recommended dose, get some dip sticks to check the pH and some pH down and thats all you need. Flush with clean water every 2 weeks :D

Just try a nutes only grow first up, forget about the Rock Bud, Monster Bud, Big Dick Bud B) and try nutes only first B)

People on this forum seem to go way over the top. just keep it simple.

I have been using Aussie Grow for many years and it's all you need. You need one mix for Veg and one for Bloom .... it's also about the cheapest on the market, most of the Dutch mixes are way overpriced because people have this thing about over hyped Dutch products but at the end of the day the plant will only take up the nutrient's it needs and Aussie Grow has them all.

Don't bother with folair feeding, you'll just end up burning the leaves.

Don't overly worry about PH, I rarely check it, messing with PH levels destroys more grows or causes more problems than everything else put together. It takes a major stuffup to get it out of whack in the first place. Just about every grow you read about that has problems can be put down to people over correcting PH levels.

The next biggest problem is inadequate ventilation resulting in too high a temperature around the root area.

People on this forum seem to go way over the top. just keep it simple.

I have been using Aussie Grow for many years and it's all you need. You need one mix for Veg and one for Bloom .... it's also about the cheapest on the market, most of the Dutch mixes are way overpriced because people have this thing about over hyped Dutch products but at the end of the day the plant will only take up the nutrient's it needs and Aussie Grow has them all.

Don't bother with folair feeding, you'll just end up burning the leaves.

Don't overly worry about PH, I rarely check it, messing with PH levels destroys more grows or causes more problems than everything else put together. It takes a major stuffup to get it out of whack in the first place. Just about every grow you read about that has problems can be put down to people over correcting PH levels.

The next biggest problem is inadequate ventilation resulting in too high a temperature around the root area.

Well said Cyclops................ph up and down is made of what??not the best shit to have your soil full of,,,,potting mix is made to grow things in and so is soil it dont need ph waterings really.....a bit of dolimite lime in the potting mix will keep ph right.....PH is a hydro thing(SOILESS MEDIUM)......

Cheers for all the replies.. after reading alot of different posts throughout the forum, I'm pretty sure I've got things figured.. basically I think I've totally overkilled with my 400w HPS setup.. got two plants in basically an enclosed closet with one small intake fan.. one small outtake fan, and I'm pretty sure it's a temp issue.. so after further reading.. I went ahead with the flush anyways.. think the ph is right.. but I thought I'd kill the temp issue by buying a CFL 120w globe, and I've also got both dutch master's grow nutrients and their penetrator nutrient on its way too.. Though I was kinda wondering about the amount of light the fluros put out compared to the HPS.. I've basically got a 2ft by 2ft closet, 8ft high.. and i read somewhere that the fluros are the way to go.. any ideas? again thanks.. and as always... comments and replies are always appreciated! ;)

And cheers Frazzle for the thumbs up on the username.. u recognise it? It's Ashton Kutchers character's weed smoking alias to Sean William Scott's "Johnny Potsmoker" from the classic "Dude Where's My Car?" I'm really tempted to create a top 10 movies to get high to thread.. I'll see if I can start it somewhere and post a reply here if anyone's interested.. I always love to hear what people love to watch when stoned.. and I'm always looking to further my stoned appreciation of cinema, so please. post away when I find a spot for it! :whistle:

Edited by smokeymcpot