Question for experianced bushies

Ok i have been planning a pretty elaborate outdoor grow for sometime, i have the resources at the location for set and forget. People on the forum have been very kind so far as to help with variety selection. Now the temperatures are getting high enough in this higher altitude region, and the risk of frost almost gone, i think its time to put the plan into motion. i have used vegetative FR/NR ratios from satelite data taken in summer to identify high moisture areas. I have logged GPS co-ordinates and my hiking pack folding shovel, ferts and such are ready. By the way when i do this (next 4-6 weeks) i plan to open a thread and log my experience with few words and many photos - oh yeah and i have fencing arranged.

However i have another question,

Weed likes direct sunlight - fair enough. But for stealth this just isnt possible, in the area i have selected everything is perfect except sunlight. Sunlight is reasonably strong during the day but NOT direct it is diffuse light shade. So my question is how much difference does it make?? for example will 2 shaded plants produce as much as a single with more sun? will the buds develop well? can i thin the buds at an early stage so that fewer develop but become larger? or is it just not worth it will stretchy plants develop that produce nothing but cellulose buds?

I have no practical knowledge in this area i no from plant physiology perspective that plants can alter gene expression in response to light conditions and alter leaf structure as a result to maximise light interception - but what does that really mean? nothing. all i want to know is, is shade so bad that its not even worth the effort - what are the buds like on shade grown plants.

thanks in advance.

after some awesome advice on here trying 2 varieties Ak and Northern Lights.

Potency shouldn't be affected as thats in the genetics.

But the less light it gets, just means lighter/fluffier buds, and it will stretch a fair bit looking for that light. Might take a bit longer to mature too...

Overall, I dont think it will make a dramatic difference, outdoor plants are going to be quite high yielding regardless. I reckon you would still get more yield off 2 outdoor plants in poor light, than you would off 2 indoor plants in perfect light.

At the end of the day, if thats the best spot you can provide for them, better than no spot, you may not get a monster yield, but you'll still get plenty of smokable bud :D

Thats just my thoughts anyway...

Edited by Wrangler556

:D Shade is a big factor, as you said they like full sun. Plants grown in constant shade will be scrawny and stretched from my experience with just as scrawny buds. One plant grown well in full sun can yield as much as 10 or more grown in constant shade and imo if you don't have a spot that gets at least a few hours direct sunlight each day you are better finding another spot.

Peace MongyMan

Hey danoz if the location is too shady well you've probably chosen the wrong spot. Unless you can down a few trees that is. Not only will the buds be smaller but more prone to bud rot. Less tree cover dosn't automatically equate to less stealth. In fact the less trees then there is probably more weeds to blend them in with on the ground but that depends on your location. If you post some pics then it will be allot easier to evaluate.

Cheers RR

mmm ok yeah i got some pics of me with a dead deer in the same area the scrub is the same. im not at home at the moment though so ill post em later. oh man spose ill have to blur my face too - and the deers for its dignity. ( i hunt for meat not trophy)

Have u guys actually treid to grow under trees and failed ??

yea i dont want to advise you yes or no cause i havent grown in constant shade .. i have grown in about 3-4 hours direct sun and that was about a 15 ft plant it yeilded 3 ozs or so, you see it just grew straight up even though i tipped it and had small but fairly thick buds on top (not colas) nothing underneath except few sets of leaves... it was planted in a valley cause thats where the water was :D .. but possibly the worst aspect for sun

yea i know, it was my 1st outdoors plant :D ... plus it took forever to mature and finish in fact the bloody frosts in June made me pick it! .. but twas the best smoke ive ever had, better than its mother even ...

and that was a full-on 1st generation sativa which had adapted to a jungle environs where the sunlight is much competed for with the only surviving plants being the ones who can make it to the tree-top canopy ..

obviously Cannabis sativa can do this, in fact its another wonder of Cannabis that it can support not only flowering heads but fully seeded flowering heads on such long stretched out storks/trunks ... its a marvel of nature

but zero direct light i think exactly like mongy and he knows a shitload bout outdoors, like you are going to up against nature with this operation, but hey you could pull it off ok, if not at least ya had a go , nothing ventured ...

if it was possible a revision of the location could well make a huge difference to the end result in this operation ...

i realise this is often not possible or practical either, but good luck with whatever comes to pass

:D

I can attest to the shade thing not being good danoz... I finally got around to moving my plants today out of that shitty shadey spot i had em in and they have sprung back to life so t speak.. I currently have em in a spot that gets direct sun light from about 8am to about 3pm.. trying to find a better spot but if not this should surfice

all the best with your location mate

mmm ok well seems like given all the experiance here i might have to make some trade offs.

Im gunna trade the excellent water resources i had at my chosen spot for some sun.

Might invest in a pump and battery and move higher up the hill where the canopy really opens up.

I have noticed some alpine areas of victoria while hunting where the top canopy of trees has not revegetated from a bush fire like 3 years ago? spose this would be to noticible from the air. ?

thanks for all the replies - gunna rethink the spot and go for more sun. now that i mention it is was actually a fairly obvious choice, i was just thinking lazy i didnt wanna go to the spot more then four times and thought this was do-able. maybe without a budget blowing pump system this just isnt do-able

Edited by danoz