'Dope' smoking doesn't matter - Gillard

Author:

Date: September 26, 2008 01:11pm

Source: News.com.au

Copyright: © 2008 Davies Brothers Pty Limited.

ACTING Prime Minister Julia Gillard has admitted she smoked dope while at university, but didn't like it.

After federal Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull last night admitted he had smoked marijuana in the past, Ms Gillard admitted she too had tried it.

"At university, tried it, didn't like it," she said on the Fairfax Radio Network.

"I think probably many Australian adults would be able to make the same statement so I don't think it matters one way or the other."

Ms Gillard said she did not think it mattered that Mr Turnbull had confessed to smoking dope in the past.

"I can't imagine that it matters in any way shape or form, no."

Professor Jan Copeland, director of the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre in Sydney, said Mr Turnbull's admission was credible, responsible and not typical of politicians.

"I'm just sending him an email now congratulating him on his refreshingly honest, straightforward and well-informed response," Prof Copeland said.

"I think we've had some pretty unedifying responses to this question in the past from politicians that have not been seen as particularly credible ... but he was honest."

Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan and Environment Minister Peter Garrett have also admitted smoking cannabis in their university days, while opposition frontbencher Tony Abbott has said he has had a "half-hearted puff".

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has not commented on his use.

In an interview on ABC Television's Q&A program, Mr Turnbull said people of his generation had not known the severe consequences of smoking marijuana.

"I think now with what we know about marijuana, I think it is a very serious drug, and it is a drug that we should strongly discourage everybody, be they young or old, but obviously particularly young people, from using," he said.

Prof Copeland she said hoped the message would help to further lower the nation's rates of cannabis use, particularly among males in their teens and 20s.

Statistics show that 750,000 Australians use cannabis weekly and 300,000 use it daily. One in eight teenagers have smoked it in the past year.

Rates have been consistently falling for more than a decade, but it is still the nation's most common illicit drug.

Haha I just read that too hilarious

Deputy pm has admitted to smokin pot, nice

Im sure many ppl will think it doesnt matter, like all the politicians say these days it shouldnt affect their career. I for one think its great haha

but not everyone has tried it, or any mind altering substance, what about all the real crazy anti drug ppl, you know the closed minded type that wont listen just thinks its EVIL :peace: haha i wonder what they must b thinkin

"I'm just sending him an email now congratulating him on his refreshingly honest, straightforward and well-informed response," Prof Copeland said.

Well informed? I must have missed the refrence to his well informed information.

Oh go and get fucked, I use to set up the green room for midnight oil and Mr Garrett is full of shit! tell the truth Peter!

EDIT: I guess he could say he was playing a UNI gig so he felt like a UNI student.

Edited by entheofarm

Society, as a whole, is full of braindead sheep :D how can smoking Cannabis at uni be more acceptable to smoking Cannabis anywhere else and by anyone else, regardless of how smart they imagine themselves to be?

The same people would have us all believe we are somehow going to end up worse than them, but why? How have they defied the odds of imminent phsycosis?

How can these people be so arrogant?

I'm proud I grow my own and happy to not associate with people like that :D

"At university, tried it, didn't like it," she [Julia Gillard] said on the Fairfax Radio Network.

This shows Julia Gillard's complete lack of character. Like me, she should have persisted! What a reprehensibly worthless little bitch! She should be ashamed of herself and heartlessly condemned by all! She's supposed to be a role model for young Australian women and she's talking arrant nonsense. She should be telling Australian women to kick back, have a few cones and hang loose rather than rushing themselves to dissatisfied death. Julia should be introducing cannabis into the federal parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia!

But no! She plays the tight-arsed, sterile, liberty-hating, repressive and vulgar political-whore with the vacuity of the shameless lawyer she always was!

As I remember Yul Brenner saying, "Whatever you do - Just Smoke Dope!"

[quote name='nugget' date='Sep 26 2008, 01:42 PM' post='202573'

"I can't imagine that it matters in any way shape or form, no."

Professor Jan Copeland, director of the National Cannabis Prevention and Information Centre in Sydney, said Mr Turnbull's admission was credible, responsible and not typical of politicians.

"I think we've had some pretty unedifying responses to this question in the past from politicians that have not been seen as particularly credible ... but he was honest."

Federal Treasurer Wayne Swan and Environment Minister Peter Garrett have also admitted smoking cannabis in their university days, while opposition frontbencher Tony Abbott has said he has had a "half-hearted puff".

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has not commented on his use.

In an interview on ABC Television's Q&A program, Mr Turnbull said people of his generation had not known the severe consequences of smoking marijuana.

"I think now with what we know about marijuana, I think it is a very serious drug, and it is a drug that we should strongly discourage everybody, be they young or old, but obviously particularly young people, from using," he said.

Prof Copeland she said hoped the message would help to further lower the nation's rates of cannabis use, particularly among males in their teens and 20s.

Statistics show that 750,000 Australians use cannabis weekly and 300,000 use it daily. One in eight teenagers have smoked it in the past year.

Rates have been consistently falling for more than a decade, but it is still the nation's most common illicit drug.

I hope it won't be too long before the Medical Cannabis Board can make a comment on these issues. :D

grace :D