Motherfucking Timers

hi indycar,

for pumps, fans, heaters i use any brand of digital timers i really need to get one of those 4 way power boards because my next grow will need two pumps to feed two strains.. For the lighting its best to read the packaging and buy a digi timer tHAT COVERS YOUR WATTs,1200 to 2400 normally and HID suited a must if you want solve the broken timer issue for ever ( high intensity discharge lights) not all are suited.. I have a phillips, and two smaller Nakijimas years old with 12 month batt change @ $25 to $40 have seen cheeper online.

They sell digitals at hydro stores that handle the start up amps of ballasts well. I was lucky enough to get given a batrobotics anlogue unit by a friend several years ago. You can't buy them any more (at least this brand). They're made for heavy duty stuff and I've never had a problem. Before this I went through several cheap timers. Spend a bit more and save later is my advice.

brick hit the nail on the head indy, the timers you are using are only rated at 10 amps. i have had the same problem with some of mine. go to a electrical store like ideal or haymans and find some good 16 amp timers dont buy them from bunnings or the hardware's. these electrical stores specialize in this stuff and will have all the good commercial gear at probably a little more than bunnings but it will speak for itself. you can also get ya bulbs from the same stores too at a good price.

oh and for a quick fix to get you out of troubles, unplug the timer, let it cool, then pick it up and give it a tap on a solid surface to release the contacts from being welded together. it will work for a while but will be prone to doing it again.

here is a link to find your nearest wholesaler of quality electrical equipment( oh and you dont need to be a tradey to buy from these places.

http://www.electrical-wholesaler.com.au/

and another link for some american heavy duty intermatic timers just to see what you should be looking at.

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id143.htm

These are $25 at bunnings

post-15017-1208920359.jpg

Heaps of settings, have only been using it a little while so don\'t know if reliable, seems ok though.

Keep a very close eye on that Heller timer.

I have 4 water pumps in my flowering area that need individual timers. I bought one of these Heller branded 4-port timers at Bunnings, thinking, "GREAT! Just wot I need! Less than half the cost of 4 individual timers!"

It lost its programming within 24 hours and failed to run my water pumps- very nearly causing a major catastrophe.

So, deciding that having all eggs in one basket could be a bad thing, I broke down and bought 4 HPM branded digital timers, same as 2 others I already had in reliable service for a while.

med_gallery_12684_402_18848.jpg

However, even some of these are dodgy. I've looked in on the op and saw \"FFF\" on the display of one of them- timer was locked up and would not respond to key inputs.

Took the backup batt out and unplugged it- it reset and accepted programming, so I put some new AAA batts in (old ones checked OK with the voltmeter, tho- 1.51V per cell vs 1.56V new) and reprogrammed it. It has failed once in the same way since then, but I'm still using it and keeping a close watch to make sure my trays have been watered.

'Motherfucking timers' ain't the half of it. When you automate something, it's because you don't want to dick around doing it yourself.

Thanks to free trade agreements, everything's being made in a dozen or so factories in PRC, which put a few hundred different name brands on the stuff. Bunnings can afford huge failure rates cos these things must cost them spit. Bunnings' return policies are also pretty stiff for the level of quality they're selling these days. Top that with a lot of little local hdwe stores going under when a Bunnings is set up nearby and soon all you can get is Chinese junk with incestuous brand naming.

I can highly recommend the Nakajima ET1 Digitals or the JBL Digitals, very reliable. The Anartelle ET1 and ET12s are almost identical to the Nakajima (prob made by same company) but the ET12s is a small package so you can plug something else into the same powerboard next to it. A useful thing.

Worth checking your circuit for overloads too, it's amazing how much people try to draw through one circuit in their home and get surprised when things start failing.

Wouldn't touch a pin timer with a 40ft pole.

Thanks for all the replies folks, I've learnt quite a bit more from this thread. :)

Well, this morning I hit the road going to various electrical supply places for both retail 'n for tradie's, by using that link that Al B. bunged up (Cheers ;)). But none of the local places had anything useful, One was in the process of moving and the other one, had nothing to offer, betta than what i already had. So it was back to bloody Bunnings, dammit. So to get me out of my current pickle, i purchased HPM Timer (grrr). Apparently this one is designed for heavy duty appliances with a M40 rating (whatever that maybe).

Details Below...

10A 24 hour heavy duty timer.

M40 motor rating for heavy duty appliances.

Easy set push-tab operation

I still plan on getting something more suitable eventually. Weather it be like the timers Sunny suggested, or even get a board built like brick50 mentioned. After thinking about it for a while, i'll hopefully get the built board with the relays, that way i can get a 15 minute trip delay thingy adapted at the same time. Hopefully by having that added, i'll minimize any damage to the bulb or ballast that may occur during instant restarts when outages occur. It'll mean "light out" for 15 minutes after any outages 'n give a bit of time for the bulb 'n ballast to cool down. It's something i should fixed up yonks ago. :wacko:

Anyway, Thanks to all that have helped out with info in this thread, muchly appreciated. ;)

:blink:

So, deciding that having all eggs in one basket could be a bad thing, I broke down and bought 4 HPM branded digital timers, same as 2 others I already had in reliable service for a while.

why wouldn't you just plug a power board into the timer and run off that? helluva lot cheaper than 4 or 5 timers, and easier to check.