outdoor smell

I just pulled off a hashberry plant outdoors and when i say it stunk, it STUNK. What i did notice is that my colourbond fence seemed to be an effective barrier against the smell getting out. I even walker next door at night (new house being built) and could not for the life of me smell anything. As soon as i was back in my yard it was like pooohhhhh.

I still think its risky and i wouldn't do it if i had a timber fence.

Food for thought.

I wasn't that long ago, i'd get up in the mornin', head out the back door for a stretch 'n a leak. While doing so, takin' in a deep breathe 'n smell nothing but mature buds. I'd imagine i wasn't alone, as there's another 5 houses within a 20 metre radius of my grow cab.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I bunged a can filter on my exhaust 'n since then i haven't had a neighbor comment on the aroma of me buds, since installing it.

:bongon:

On the other hand, i wouldn't grow in the backyard if you paid me it's weight in gold. Not if I had a decent option.

ok..

It should be well known by all of us with the olfactory senses intact that all chemical smells will become entrapped in certain areas of your yard.. if they are about and they make their way to your place there will always be a section of your yard where if you are in it at the time you will smell whatever chemicals are currently released into the atmosphere near you. However, you have no idea where they are coming from and in many cases people do not know the smell of ripening Mj.

I can smell whenever someone upwind of me is spraying chemicals so it stands to reason that others can smell my grow plot.

"I had one neighbour who came to see me and she said.. "Look I am selling my house and moving as you know but it looks like the buyer is a policeman. I just came down to warn you that I can smell you when I am hanging the washing."

Ooo er!

So anyway I didn't take a lot of notice but still crossed my fingers. Then one day I hear some male voices at my back fence and I was wondering who these people were and then they came in my side gate.. "Hello I'm your new neighbour(three doors down) and this is Bill, my brother-in-law the chief of Bankstown Police."

I said "oh yeah.. good to meet you.. what can I do for you?"

"oh we were just looking at the good job you have done here and Bill here wanted to meet you."

"Oh Ok." I said "do you want me to show you around?"

It seemed they were more interested in what I was doing as a human being a part of the community.. than what I was doing behind the community's back.

They didn't ask to see my plants though they could hardly have missed them on their way in.. if they had been looking for them.

Yet they struck up a great neighbourly conversation with me and I even sold Bill some plants.. er Australian native plants.

So the moral of the story should be this.. Your worth to the community outweighs your personal sins.. while you are still being of worth to the community. An extra to that would obviously be; watch out if you are perceived to be of negative worth to the community. Police have to act as judges.. before they act as police.

Generally speaking.. The police do not want to know that you grow a few plants. They would rather know what good you are doing in the community.. They take a disaproving stance to those who steal from and lie to the community. They will hound you if you try to make your living from selling drugs but for personal use is too much money out for nothing.

Different story if some manic neighbour keeps calling the local slammer and informing that there is a drug house next door.

I have always grown in my backyard. In this particular backyard since 1979. Everyone knows me. No one harrasses me.

When I lived with my mother she allowed me to grow rather than to buy from the dealers. It was her decision and she made it without consulting me until after she made it. I said "thanks mum". She informed me one day that the police had sat in their car at our back gate looking.. she said they sat there for twenty minutes .. just looking. Then they just drove off. Never heard any more about it.

Yet... one night/early morning a policeman was chasing some motorist and lost him.. but pulled over to listen for where he went.. and happened to park near the exhaust for the fans from a basement grow room. Result .. big bust.

Edited by gouger

Gouger i agree wholeheartedly on your comment. I am in a business where i can help my neighbours and in doing so have won their friendship. Now they look out for me for than anything and even if they knew i grew a plant i don't think they would view me as a drug smoking criminal. On the other hand if i had ppl showing up all day and night with black shirts etc it may be a different story.

Moral of the story to me is if you show you are a nice person not trying to do the wrong thing you won't attract attention.

Good post mate, there is a lot of good info in what you said.

madb

Well when I first moved here it was an inbred village.. with dust for gardens. One of my work associates said "what? move out there with the coons?"

I ran that past the locals and they laughed. "nary a coon in sight" said one. Yet his son-in-law was Aboriginal.

Back to the weed issue. I was asked about the fact that I was growing weed in my backyard.. when I first came here.. by the locals. They agreed with my description of how my mother had put it. They were happy that I was not going to subvert their children. Though over the thirty years.. some of them took it up without my help.

My newest neighbour can see exactly what I am doing and has done nothing other than allude to the fact that I make my own medicine.

Today this is no longer a dusty village of "white trash".. yet the same people still live here.. This is now one of the highest valued real estate areas locally. I cannot say it was wholly because I took up living here.. but I can say that it was my presence which was the altering factor.

Now., would they print that in a story about what dangers marijuana poses to the community?

er; am I going off topic ? should the above have a new thread or.. is it OK where it is?

Edited by gouger

Well, you see what I did was make it obvious.. all along.

I bought the block, put water on and a fence which only covered three sides .. front left open.

I lived thirty km's away at the time. I asked a local if he could tun the tap off an hour or so after I left.. and planted fruit trees vege garden and .. weed. :bongon: He complained that he had never put that much water on his yard.. I said.. "not even.. in the beginning?" that shut him up. This is a dry land and the only way to start any plant that is going to survive.. is to drown it almost.

He had four kids and they also watered my yard.. because it was easier to send them to do the job. One of them asked me.. "How are you going to get around this yard? Swing between the trees?"

Approximately a decade later.. I was in my shed working and he showed up at the door.. and proffered this statement.. "I have friends who would kill for what you spill".. I looked up at him and replied.. "well, don't introduce them to me"

That leaves me open to tell this story.. if you want to listen..

A car with a family packed inside pulled up at a house in a small town where a sign displayed FOR SALE. Next door there was an old bloke sitting reading the paper in the morning sun.

The family all got out and looked at the house from the street. The adults wandered over to the man next door and said "morning .. we are looking for a place to live and this looks a good house.. Do you know what the neighbourhood is like?" The old guy looked at them and asked "What was your old neighbourhood like?"

They answered in unision, "Terrible! Oh they were always a problem" and started listing problems.

He cut them short by saying.. "is that all? They are much worse than that here. If you would rather get away from that I suggest the next town down the road.. They are nicer there."

The travellers got back in their car and disappeared down the road.

Next thing another car pulls up and the a similar situation ensues. When asked the question "what were your neighbours like?" The answer was.. "Oh they were absolutely lovely. We hated moving away but my husband has got a job up this way and we basically had to make the move."

The old bloke got up out of his chair and said "you'll love it here then. Hang on .. I'll get the keys for you."

The oddest part about that was that this story was told to me by my father-in-law who had previous to my attempt to become a part of the community where I now live, had thought me possibly a bit scary... The interesting part was that he told it in relation to the way I moved in here.

Peace brothers.. marijuana is not as much a problem as a catalyst for improvement.. wake up brothers and envisage that light.

I will have to add that the best place in my yard to grow the fattest buds is exactly where the neighbour next door can see from his kitchen window every morning. He and his son even put a wind vane on his shed right next to the fence which was the only thing separating him from 1.5 kilo's of top dried bud(if he knew how to pick and dry it). Yet he didn't make a complaint. When his kids were younger he didn't stop them from playing in my yard if they wished.. nor did I. As they grew older they went their own ways successfully without me having interfered in their outcome in any way other than a few pieces of fruit in their diet.

Ask yourselves .. would they allow me to do what I do If they thought me to be a problem? I will add that I have had two sets of neighbours on that side but neither complained. The first neighbour has since ascertained that he made a mistake by moving.

Edited by gouger