Train OUR dogs to be sniffers??

Guest Urbanhog

Guest Urbanhog

I was thinking about training dogs to be our own "sniffers", as I am thinking about getting other puppy in couple of months, and I would like to train my new puppy to be my personal sniffer dog, I mean if the law enforcers have theirs, why don't we have our own??

I heard that it's a long process to train dogs to be professional sniffers, but I believe I have the time and patience to train my puppy from young age to find/smell weed, as it would be funny to go to mate's parties or whatever and my dog gets excitied at others with possiblity having weed in their pockets/bags and I will come up and say hey looks like you are carrying, and see thier reactions...heheheh :unsure:

Anyone know more or good links about training dogs to find weed/drugs?? I am only looking up as a "other hobby" lol

any suggestions will be great B)

hey,

ausinvader has got the basics. There are actual dog toys called kongs that they use to train them with.But tennis balls would do. Fill about 40 toys with different things and a special one. If you only ever reward them for that one they pick up quite quick. The question is what smell to train him for. If its a few different ones its alot harder. But i think your wise enough to pick between the two to suit your needs. Heres a training centre for dogs, they train the police dogs but not sure if they would do for you :rolleyes: guard dog training centre

i to am considering training a young pup for sniffin out ganja, my current K-9 is to old and stupid but i'm thinking of upgrading to a newer, younger and better model when it ceases to breath. :rolleyes:

i've come to learn that Australia is the biggest breeder of sniffer dogs in the world so it seems to be the place to find out about the subject.

there isn't much goin information wise on teaching dogs how to sniff out narcotics but i found something that might help you out.

http://www.uwsp.edu/psych/dog/LA/deeley2.htm

should at least point you in the rite direction

Guest Urbanhog

Thanks everyone, liked the tennis ball and kongs idea, and thanks for the links, hopefully I aren't giving the impression I want my sniffer dog to "find" crops, I know few outdoor growers, and they are pretty agressive people, and I do not want to play around with them :rolleyes:

Cheers again, and will post again some time later and let you know how my training went... B)

I guess I will have to study these links for the right breeds of dogs.

Guest Urbanhog

thanks for that infor blouder, that was bit more useful, as I used to have a Staffy x Foxy, man... that was the best dog I ever had, it had the witty of a foxy and a charm of the staffy, it was bit odd dog, because it had the body of staffy but the head of a foxy, it was funny to see bulky mini dog running around with tiny face and huge ears :B): and you probably could call the dog "Tassie" (I would give more details about my dog, but decided to not for secuirty reasons B) dont want to give too much details about me) because the dog was inbred, the father of the dog was the dog's mother's father, get it?? :rolleyes:

I noticed that foxys/terriers are natural diggers, they love digging no matter how hard you tired to stop them digging and they are also notorious escape artists, yet, I still love foxies!!

I am more of looking at medium/"large" of small sized dog breeds.