Ok, well I have just finished watching a vid over at YouTube. It was all about UVB and THC and the relationship between the two.

Oh, before I forget, here's the link for the vid if anyone is interested. Caution tho, it goes for about 17 minutes. :D

And it got my to thinking how I might try it out on my grow. Apparently UVB is somehow responsible for the production of THC... :bow:

I have an incandescent UV globe and now I'm planning on adding it to my lighting array when it's time for my babies to flower. :D

Has anyone tried this?

Ideas? Feedback?

:bow: ~Rose.

MRG, I think Marijuana Man makes some unsupported conclusions, many based in simple observation and a few outright guesses. I'd like to see his list of references to peer-reviewed botanical research papers on this issue.

He makes one dead-wrong notation, that HPS light doesn't make any UV light. Total rubbish.

Get a look at comparative spectral graphs of HPS and sunlight. HPS lighting not only produces UV light, across the UVA, UVB & UVC bands, down to about 253nm (germicidal range) but does so in a similar proportion to sunlight. Output from HPS tubes drops off sharply in wavelengths shorter than about 260nm due to the optical characteristics of borosilicate glass used in HPS tube envelopes, but some UVC gets out, despite this limitation. Germicidal fluoro UVC lamps for 253nm employ quartz envelopes to reduce loss at these extremely high light frequencies.

As far as I have been able to find, no reliable botanical research exists confirming that UV light has anything at all to do with resin or THC production. I'm quite open to new information, but the only thing I'll be convinced by is serious scholarly research that has been peer reviewed, that is, replicated by independent botanical researchers.

You mustn't put an incandescent light of any sort near your plants, UV or otherwise. On the order of 80% of the output of an incandescent lamp is radiated infrared. That will cause general plant elongation and 'runny' buds.

Groovy, thanks for the feedback Al.

As you know, I'm still very much a beginner in the field of growing and am still trying to filter the crap from the non crap. :D

I didn't know that incandescent lamps emitted infrared radiation! That's quite interesting indeed, well it is to me anyway...

I guess I won't be using that UV light after all! :bow:

When I can afford it, I will invest in some HPS's, I just don't know how long it will be before that happens tho. Again, sucks to be me. Hoping that after a few calls I make today that I might be back in work soon too. *crosses fingers* Here's hoping.

Anyway, this is another reason why I love this site so much. If I 'learn' something new, I can come an research or ask questions here and find out the validity of the new info. :D

Cheers n have a good one!

:bow: ~Rose.

made a thread about this before. I don't have it, but apparently there is some evidence that UV increases resin production. Read this thread then tell me what you think. Its debatable weather or not it does, but i tend to believe it helps out. After all, in nature, these rays occur and outdoor plants in certain parts of the world with more UV are more potent.

https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=18175