UV stress - new technology!?

So i was in my local store today and the employees whom i have come to befriend were raving about a newish product and technology that is out. They told me that this bulb has been the single most amazing thing they have seen in recent growing science. This is a bulb made my Life Light Technologies that use's intense 10k UV-A blue light. (They say it appears more purple and is very intense, needing dark shades to even look at.) You are supposed to use it for the final week, or even last 2 weeks. They told me that they actually used it and that the results were incredible. They said that the crystal quantities were about 10 times what they were previously and the appearance of the bud was top notch. So my question is, does anyone have experience using UV special bulbs at the end of harvest and what were your results? If not, have you heard about this or having any web links to read more about this? This is the only link i can provide, scroll to their light chart at the bottom of the page to see their recommended use of the bulb. you can see it says final week. http://www.lifelighttec.com/f/LLI_Fall07Re...icingWeb_B1.pdf

Im going to try this next grow i believe.

Remember that thing on youtube about the UVB supposedly making growth better in flowering?

I still get reports from the guy that was trying it in my Growin Granny email, and he says for all the hype he really can't see much of a difference.

But, that's UVB...not UVA...so I'm curious as well....

If you give it a go please post us some pix!

Well im at the end of my flower so its gonna have to wait until next time. But when i do try it i will be sure to include some pics and let you guys know. Gonna be about 2 months until that time though. So if anyone has more experience with this, feel free to inform us. thanks

Actually i have decided to try it now at the end of my current flower. i know next time it will be better though because i'm upgrading to a 600w as opposed to current 400w. I can put up a picture of the bulb, but i learned today that the guy from my local hydro store had to go to several class's to learn about the company's bulbs and they are the only authorized dealer within 100 miles of where i live. So its not an easy bulb to get at the moment, but if it turns out as good as it is supposed to, u may want to consider sending away for one hehe. Well ill update when i can

Adding a pic so that i have a reference point - if anyone cares :)

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4458/12708002vd1.th.jpg

considering i posted the last 4, maybe im the only one who cares :bow:, but ill post what the company had to say after i emailed them about their bulb. It's interesting.

Hello,

Thanks for the inquiry. The 10K lamp has UVA and UVB in it, as do all of

our Pulse Start Metal Halides for core and coil and electronic ballasts,

but no UVC.

There is research on the net about UV and effects on people and plants.

It also produces oils in human beings, for example. The basic premise

behind what we do is that plants, people, pets and fish all want light

like the Sun. The Sun has UV light, and we want our light to behave like

the Sun indoors, so an integral component to light is that UVA and UVB.

It's natures gift to plants to help them fight bugs, pathogens, etc. HPS

light, that people have been using for years, has no UV light at all,

and we wonder why the plants have problems. HPS light is also only 22%

or less of the Sun's color, quality and clarity. We make lamps that are

95% of the Sun, and we want our plants to get that too. Plants have

evolved with the light that hits the Earth, the visible spectrum, for

millions of years. We don't want to fight mother nature, we want to work

with it. Growers didn't reinvent lighting for plants in 20 years of

growing indoors.

The question on UV and plants is a question of photobiology and plant

science. There's a great, but dry, book called Photosynthesis, by Hall

and Rao, 7th edition. That really outlines these questions technically,

but this was the nutshell version I'm giving you.

UV light isn't good for you, so avoid long term exposure to the lights,

as you would in the outdoor Sun. The lamps have no UVC, which is the

most dangerous of the bunch.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Edited by yota

Well i cant be certain about the results. But i think it has worked some. My buds have an insane amount of crystals on them. hard to say if its genetics or the UV light that helped. Ill know better next time when i upgrade to the 600w lamp and results go up all around. What do you think of this...

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/6066/2508006312qp2.jpg

Edited by yota

Hi Yoda,

I watched that Youtube vid that Granny referenced and that was very specific for UV-B light. I can recall some of the details...it was very technical, the head of the trichome is circular and clear like that to act as a magnifying glass to amplify the light (UV-:thumbdown: which specifically acts to energise the chemical pathway that is creating THC, thus producing more THC.

Reptiles require UV-B and so reptile lights emit low intensity UB-B. Also halogen bulbs emit UV-B as well.

This special light you're talking about...does it emit UV-B too or just UV-A?

My buddy uses halogens shined on the trichs during the last couple of weeks of flower and gets damn good potency but he's never done a side-by-side test.

Your plant sure has alot of trichs so I hope the light increases the THC in them. Be nice to hear the comparison when you get around to doing a smoke test.

Cheers,

Dee