kangas and fences

I am south west of Port Maquarie,if you dont use fences here,your pulling yourself to think anything will be harvested.I now fence of a large area wrapping six foot chicken wire around trees without removing vegitation(maybe 30 to 40 ft square)and dig huge holes to accommodate plants.I find it less visual from above,and minimizes visits by native animals due to substantialy less upturned soil(used to dig large plots to accommodate 4to6 large females)

It's just fuckin unreal the wild variation in experiences people have with roos and wallabies hey. I grew in an area that was so infested with them, i often knocked off a half dozen in an arv just for kicks around the scrub I grew. Next day, another half doz would be there.

yes I was a violent little prick, but I've got over that now. And besides, i dont like to make other sdo my own dirty work, and given that I had dogs to feed, and bought dog food is mostly kangaroo, I figure we should be prepared to do our own nasties in life or forget it.

Anyway, I had wallabies on one grow spot that actually crushed the grass and shrubs around my plants to make their camp . Covered the ground with feaces and roo piss, there was no question the buggers were camping there , even using the largest of the plants for shade, and not once, ever did I loose a plant to the pricks.

I lost some to possums, and I know it was possums, but that's too long to go into. Funny story but.

I wonder if it's becuase we had large amounts of kykya grass int he area. I dont know south of Port Macqurie, but is it dry and covered in small rank shrubs? Maybe the roos get used to woody rank plants? Something they dont eat much of where I was. Then again, we had the biggest popoulation of swamp wallabies and similar wallabies in that area in the state apparently 9according to the boffins),and they eat shrubs exclusively. So I dont know?

I think the way you fenced is the way to go. I used electric fences, but did exactly the same thing. I went from tree, to tree, using old poly pipe for isolators, to make a huge fenced off area, running the wires every few inches up the trees. The wire ran through the tree, I mean under the canopy of the tress, so it wasnt visible fromt eh air, as i imagine you have done also have you? Personally I think it'd be at least as successfukll as the 6 foot mesh, as all animals touch fences witht heir nose before they try to do anything at all with them. But if you get good results withthe tall fencing, grouse. And while roos can jumpo a 6 foot fence, roos are more likely to crawl through fences than jump them. so anything over their own waste or shest height is enough, if u can just convince them bad karma comes from interfering withthe fence.

I just wanted to say how I agree with going throigh the trees, otherwise the stuf stands out like dogs balls.

Also, digging holes is the only way to go.

If you can manage it without giving away your spot, it would be good to see a pic of how you ran the fence mate.

Iknow I've told this a million times,but maybe someone new hasnt heard it. If u have dingoes in your area, next time you killa steer or if you buy your meat, get the large bones and take therm to your patch. Use good wire and tie the biones to trees all around the grow. Dingoes will make their camp there, they willlive theree fighting over the bones making a hell of a racket each noght, and the shit, piss and general cary on will keep any self resepcting roo miles away.

Dont doubt if it works. It works better than anything I ever saw of a dozen different things I tried.

cheers

rob

Ive had my fences torn down to the ground by roos a few times.. (when i used to grow bushies) but i used to take my dog down to the plot and let him piss and mark his cent every where, after a few weeks i noticed that the roos and wallabies kept there distance and didnt come back for a while...

Robbie mate i used to pick off roos like crazy with my old 308 riffle :wave: where i used to live and grow, there was that many of them i used to feed them to my dogs and take the nice cuts for us to eat.. Not bad to eat roo i recon.. Lean meat..

What i dont get is that there is so many people going hungry here in Aus and alot of hipe over the kulling of roos, and the price of meat and the false perception that killing off a few roos is wrong.. nice cheap meat for all.. thats my 2cents.

lol

Yeah mate, I had dogs, and they always need food of course. So every day I went walking. I could walk out by door and be in thick scrub in a matter of a half mile or less. I spent an hour or two every day walking u and down steep finger rangers to get a wallaby or roo every day for the dogs. Practicle for the dog food, kept me fit as a fiddle. Some of those hills were so steep I had to get on my knees to get up them.

I mean hell, if youy buy a tin of that crap "pal" it's dead roo anyway, if u go to the fancy dog food shops, you buy roo meat, but go kill one yaself and people think you're a heathen.

And of course, tending my plants was always easier with a rifle or shot gun in hand. A lot of people think that it's dangerous to be around ya dope with a loaded rifle, might get shot by a copper or something (and in mnay spots this would be very true), but I lived prety deep in the hills, any bust would have been in my house, not the plots. Try walking around the bush tending plants with no reason, and you soon find what you thought was empoty paddocks were alive with farmers all who saw you walking along the other day..and aren't backward in asking you next time they see you just what you were doing "up by robinson's farm" or where-ever..and without a decent reason you look bad.

So carrying a rifle gave me reason to be in the bush, made the farmers happy cause they sure didnt like the epedemic amounts of bi-pods we had around there, and it fed my dogs.

I got soft after a while, didnt like shooting anymore, but I was raised with a gun in my hand, fired my first rifle at about 4 or 5 years old. dad was a pro shooter. I think I just got sick of it, havent been shooting for yonks now. I taught all my kids to use fire-arms at about 9 years old. the shotty woke the young bloke up when he squeezed that one off. that was a bit cruel. bruised his sholder and all. Should have kicked him offf withthe 410, not the 12 gauge hey?

What I am after but, is a Great Dane x Mastif, if you hunt, maybe you know of a web site that has dogs like that for sale? I used to have on marked in favorites, but lost it sometime and cant recall l what it was, or even how I found it.

cheers mate.

good huntin.

rob

awesome to here of others who shoot in the bush. I was hoping to this spring combine my two favourite hobbies deer shooting and weed growing (currently grow indoors). Has any tired planting in dry soil perhaps a few feet from a spring fed creek (doesnt go dry) so that the roots could grow to access low down water?

Also see some awesome remote country where i go deer shooting but its funny within a hour drive of any major town is not remote no matter how wild it is. I was hunting once inthe middle of no where and the road that leads to this spot is a no through rd while i was getting set up i ran into the local hydroshop guy he didnt have a gun and he didnt have a gun it was so freaky and funny to meet him up there (we did no eachother by the way) we smiled at eachother with equal suspicion but never brought up weed. i'm sure if i could have been bothered searching i would have found weed. Your right when u say a gun actually makes you less sus in the bush.

So anyway i plan to hike with some clones of auto ak47, fert, ag bags, folding shovel, gps, and my 30/06 rifle next time i deer shoot this spring.

By the way if my plan to use a auto flowering plant fails what time is planting and harvest in victoria. i have plenty of bag seeds