trying to grow peyote

if u grow em under 400w hps you will cook them, they only need fluros because they are shade loving plants. 16 to 18 hours light per day, only water when completely dry, and small amounts of cactus fertz every now and again.

to germ seeds get some hort sand, moisten, place in chinese food container, nuke it for 3 mins, let kool, place seeds and spirnkle small amount of moist pre nuked sand over top

close lid and leave for many months!

I've been growing them for year’s successfully under 125w compact fluoros. They do really well and you can get the lights real close to them without fear of burning.

They flower constantly every year during the growing season outdoors once they are at least 3 - 5 years old if grown from seed and kept outdoors.

If you put them under the fluoros you can have em on 24/24 and water daily and feed monthly. You can also put them in your vegging room under the MH as they love the blue spectrum, just keep them a couple of foot away from the globes.

Give them a nice deep pot as the root will grow approximately 3 - 4 times longer than the head is wide. They will really appreciate the root space.

Once established you can achieve a years growth in 3 months.

If you want to grow them faster you can always graft them to pedro.

I recommend that you buy some off ebay or go to any reputable cactus merchant and get one that is already a few years old as growing from seed can be a little daunting for the beginner due to how slow the growth rate is.

Don’t be paranoid buying them as they are 100% legal to own, just not to eat.

If you wanna eat them I suggest get some pedro for $20 per foot and eat that instead, it works just as well and is alot more economical.

I warn you tho, growing lophophora’s is really addictive. I bought my first one with the intention of eating it. But now ~10 years on I’ve got more pedro than you can poke a stick at and too many lopho’s to keep up with.

One more word of advice, unlike mj these plants respond very slowly to any changes you make to food and light etc.

Give this plant time to adjust to any changes you make and do them slowly. Try something, wait a week and see how it responds than you can decide if you want to continue. If it dies you will cry.

P.S. if they turn pink or red they are getting sunburnt, if they are pale green you dont have enough. Dark green is perfect.

Oh, and they love magnesium and an alkaline soil.

Try any local market; $20 is the most you should be paying.

Flea markets are great, as are garage sales. I've picked up Pedro for as little as $2 per foot.

The nannas of our community have been growing it for many years as it is an ornamental plant and have a shitload, some will just give it to you if you ask them nicely and don’t look like some dodgy hippy looking to get bent. Learn some botanical names and wow them a little.

But don’t just jump the fence and take what you want. That’s just plain wrong!

Seek and you will find my friend. Forget Kmart and Bunnings. Broaden your horizons and keep your eyes open.

Sorry I missed this for so long,

I have done a fair bit of succulent growing and breeding both indoors and outdoor , Cacti are not like cannabis indoors though , they want much less lighting to be happy

When I grow them indoors I grow them with a 250 watt metal halide and half the room shade clothed, I found a dedicated 400 was too much for them without a decent shade cloth barrier or other plants providing natural shade between the light and the cacti but from what I could tell they preferred the metal halide to HPS ( HPS only seemed to get height out of them where as MH seemed to get both girth and height )

imo though only grow em indoors in winter ( the months they would normally hibernate ) as nothing fattens them up like the sun does, You can EASLY get yourself another 1-2 foot a year out of a san pedro with the indoor/outdoor cycle described

As for starting off the seeds , take a small pot with your cacti seedling mix and sprinkle your seeds over the top of the soil . then LIGHTLY water which will submerge the seeds JUST under the surface . Pop them under a compact fluoro and give them about a 18/6 light cycle , what cycle you do is up to you but make sure you have at least 4 hours of darkness and keep in mind that cacti DON'T like 24 hour cycles as they need the dark period to assist with it's overall health. Once the baby's have shown themselves give them a few weeks in the shared pot , then transplant into it's own pot , OR an even better idea is to graft the pup to an older plant with established roots ( periscopis is brilliant) grafting is not exactly easy at first but you get good at it and learn lots of your own tricks to help you get good results . In the end though it's very much worth it , particularly with succulents like peyote where you can get the same amount of tissue mass you normally would in 20 - 30 years inside of 2 years on a graft.

Flowering with cacti is a strange one , they don't have a "cycle" so to speak and you can't really force it to happen anywhere near as easy as you can with other plants . It's more in line with the process of stressing a female to shoot out some male flowers. But much more difficult and much more age reliant. Have never seen a cacti under 3 years of age flower and even that was a cutting that came from a cacti that was at least another 6 years older.

Then after waiting all that time the actual reproduction period of the cacti only lasts 24 hours or so

Don't pass bunnings etc, you will often find good 4 year olds at your local mitre 10. But never peyote! San pedro is a very generic term and species vary, expect to pay $60 bucks at bunnings for a two foot Trich.

erowid as always is a good resource. http://www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti.shtml

As is http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/

peyote can take 30 years before they become useful as a religous sacrament, and honestly, if it took you that long to grow it would you really kill it?

The % of Mescaline varies from species to species but from reports it looks that growing from a ft cutting you can expect a foots growth per season outdoors for Trichocereus type Genus, with 1 ft per dose?

Becareful what you grow and where, peyote are illegal in some states, not sure which ones?

Because Peyote is so slow to grow you'd be wasting a lot of electricity for neglible result. I'd suggest a sunny window sill if you're in a flat, or simply out in a sunny spot in the garden if you're suburban. You want a free draining media, which you can make from 1 part potting mix, 1 part coarse sand and 1 part 10mm gravel. Or just buy a bag of cacti mix from a garden centre. You only ever fertilise in the growing season and with an organic, so you can avoid potential burning. I suggest 1/4 strength fish emulsion every 4 weeks. That weak and that little. This is not MJ. You must allow the media to dry out between waterings and be completely dry over winter. Otherwise they will rot. Expect 2 years at least to pass to get it from a 5 cent piece in diameter to a 20 cent piece. If you propagate from seed you will want a heat pad and keep the sand media moist. They won't germinate in the cold.

post-34885-1247317928_thumb.jpg