Vic roadside tests......2 years figures

Before we all get too bothered about roadside drug tests have a look at these figures.

There the first two years testing in Vic.

24,413 drivers were tested.

321 tested positive for methamphetamine.

105 for both meth and cannabis.

35 for cannabis alone. 35 from 24213.

I believe these figures prove they are only looking for intoxicated drivers. If that isn't the case I presume most of the cannabis produced in OZ is going straight to the rubbish tip.

Think about it.

Two years figures remember.

Here is a short article quoting the same figures I had. This was in a major daily newspaper.

New roadside test buses catch out drug-dazed drivers

January 03, 2007

NINE people were caught driving under the influence of drugs after attending a New Year's Day dance party in Melbourne as police around the nation focus on random roadside testing in their latest efforts to cut road tolls.

The nine were caught near the Summadayze party at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl despite earlier warnings by Victoria Police that it was stepping up its campaign against drug drivers by putting new testing buses on the road over the holiday period.

Victoria was the first state to introduce roadside saliva drug tests two years ago. All other states have followed the move.

Queensland, which recorded its highest road toll for eight years last year, will become the final state to introduce roadside testing this year following a trial that found one in 25 drivers tested positive to drugs. It plans to test about 20,000 drivers a year.

According to Victoria Police, 30 per cent of drivers killed on the state's roads tested positive for drugs other than alcohol. In South Australia, 23 per cent of motorists killed tested positive for cannabis, methylamphetamine or ecstasy, which are the three drugs that can be detected using roadside saliva tests.

Victoria Police figures for the two years since random testing was introduced in December 2004 show 479 out of a total of 24,413 drivers tested positive - a ratio of one in 51. The most common drug detected was methamphetamine, with 321 drivers testing positive. Those testing positive to both methamphetamine and cannabis totalled 105. Thirty-five drivers tested positive to cannabis alone.

A Victoria Police spokeswoman said yesterday the nine drivers caught overnight were stopped at a drug bus in St Kilda Road, near the corner of Toorak Road, less than 2km from the Summerdayze event, which attracted a crowd of about 25,000. Police sniffer dogs detected a further 26 people carrying small amounts of drugs for personal use.

They were cautioned and directed to a drug diversion program.

Victoria Police launched three combined drug and alcohol testing buses and began a public education program on drug driving in the holiday period lead-up. Eight are expected to be operating by the middle of the year.

why are they testing for methamphetamine?

was there some kindof study that linked a cutoff figure (ie: some kindof medical dose) for levels of methamphetamine in the blood that IMPAIRS your driving ability? I thought NASA showed that in medical doses it INCREASES your driving ability? That's why both NASA and the military give it to their pilots on long shifts, coz it's more effective and healthier than caffeine.

I mean, i'm sure it can wack you around if you've had too much - like if you're on a bender and havn't slept in a week.

But otherwise it's medically known to ENHANCE your ability to drive, how can they blanket charge everyone with driving under the influence regardless of dosage?

Stop, revive, survive. Meth might very well save your life one day if you choose it over caffeine. NASA recommends!

FUCK METH, I hate the shit, anyone uses it around me I beat the crap out of them, basically their the one's who end up blaming us using the 'gateway theory' which is still a theory. Meth sends people nuts, and violent. I applaud the pigs getting meth heads off the road. Imagine if you were driving home and Mr. Meth decides to ram your car into a lamp post?