I bought a 1000w HPS, Newfangled shade

in a square room i would opt for a parabolic shade.. which is the type i use.. chinahats people call them.. these will distribute the light evenly over a square area...

now before we all get my ass about how fuckin great batwings are.. ill just say this in my defense...

parabolic shades (chinahats) are designed for a square area... a batwing shade(the one al has posted) are designed for a rectangular area... its not really rocket science... and yes i know.. directly under the light they push more lumins per foot.. but as the light travels to the edges of the grow room.. the lumins drop dramatically with a batwing shade where as the parabolic will deliver the lumins evenly all the way to the edges ... theres a luminal output chart in Mel Franks insiders growers guide that shows this clearly... ant one with a light meter will be able to do the experiments..

with that said.. theres absolutely no reason why this shade wont work.. of course it will.. its just i think a parabolic shade would be a better option...

but.. and i think Granny has stated once before that they simply dont have parabolic shades in the US.. so.. Gran, youll have to make do with this one.. seeing as youve bought it and all.. .and really.. the difference between the parabolic and the batwing are minimal and i cant see why this one wont work as well as any other batwing style shade, its just one is designed for a rectangular area and one is designed for a square area...

Thanks guys, If this one doesn't work out for whatever reasons, I'll check with Hydromasta and see if he has one.

Whew, I feel better.

It's 6pm and Halloween, I don't think my lights making it today. I know I wouldn't be driving around with all these kids in costumes running all over the streets. Maybe tomorrow.

Hey Granny, how ya been?

1000w in a 1.5x1.5m room..?......... Would you need a shade..? lmao

If the shade doesn't work do what I do Gran... Modify it. lol

Mines a cross breed. (I couldn't decide. hehe)

post-13748-1194151391_thumb.jpg

I haven't got a recent pic of the shade but it's 1/3 wider again now.

I can't see any reason why that shade wont work..

Sure a 'squound' 1 would be ideal but I'll swap ya if ya want. :D

Ok so does this mean I got another crappy light??? Can't find a parabolic here, that's what I was looking for when I spotted this one, it seemed the closest thing.

The batwing in the pic looks pretty simple, can I put it together with pop rivets? Just in case this one sux ass? I already have the corner shaped aluminum, and wire. all I would need is some flexable sheet.

I don't think the reflector you've selected is totally useless; it'll surely work- it's just that double-parabolic batwings make more use of the light coming off the HPS bottle as well as prevent light from being reflected straight back to the tube.

gallery_12684_402_6622.jpg

You can also adjust the spread of the focus easily by how much you allow the reflector to spread. A couple of pieces of light open-link chain between the far edges of the reflector make focus adjustment easy. If you need light mainly right under the reflector, narrow the focus by shortening the chains.

Chinaman's hats and simple single parabola horizontal reflectors tend to trap heat under the reflector as well as waste some light by reflecting it right back to the tube.

Vertical tube (i.e. Chinaman's hat) reflectors are the least efficient as most of the light from the tube has to be bounced off the reflector before it gets to the plants. They also have shorter tube life as they concentrate heat on the tube socket. Horizontal fixtures have a direct path for light from at least the side of the bottle facing the plants.

You most certainly can easily build your own custom sized batwing, no worries. Can use steel or aluminum sheeting. If you use a very soft grade of aluminum, sandwich the sheets between a couple strips of steel along the join and use about 8-10 pop rivets. Better yet, use machine screws and large washers to spread out the clamping force (aluminum pop rivets can work loose with time and frequent focus adjustments) as well as make the reflector disassemblable for future transport. Paint it with a couple of coats of flat white hi-temp enamel.

1000W is monster! I'd love that but living solo at the moment I wouldn't want the electricity bill it'd give me. I can offset cheaper lights by using CFL's and what not around the house but 1000W is going to kill me at the quarter regardless...

That said, hows she going? And how many plants are you planning to grow under it? 1000W is HUGE!