Second time my plants have died!

gahhh

I believe it was at the beginning, but as time went on it started to get all weird and didn't absorb the water as well.

So next time, potting mix ftw.

Hi Beans, good luck with your next run mate.

Definitely blend perlite or clayballs for better drainage in pots of soil.

Even potting mix will get that water proof-like bad absorption after a while to. For outdoor plants I use saturaid and wettasoil (indoors sometimes).

Saturaid you can throw around like sand or dig in a little, then water in later. Wettasoil you can just make up as a liquid, with your next watering routine.

Both make the ground like a sponge, nothing runs off the top. Works well with potting mixes and soil.

Best in the garden man :D

As a fellow inexperienced grower, I would second this. Think about how plants grow in the wild, it doesn't rain everyday does it? It generally rains in periods so plants are used to getting a soaking and then going without for a while. As seedlings their roots systems are not developed and they need very little water. I think Granny once said that a seedling only requires 10-20ml of water per day, so figure that into the equation when you are watering :D

At this time of year I would doubt it is due to the weather as I live in one of the coldest parts of NSW and mine are outdoors and alive. They might not be thriving but they are alive and fairly healthy considering the treatment I've put them through.

Oh and is your soil porous enough? The water needs to be able to penetrate it, which is why potting mix is generally better than ordinary soil.

Absolutely perfect! I could not have said that better myself!

One of the reasons we try to let the plants dry before watering is so that the root systems will reach down for water and fully anchor the plant to the ground. If we give frequent waterings the roots will be shallow and then in times of true drought they won't be able to reach down to find the moisture they need and will dry out and die.

my guess is your overwatering it, it's the number one cause of plant death by in-exp growers imo.

let the soil pretty much fully dry out between waterings, this could mean watering every second day when they are real small and soil is retaining a lot of moisture. best way is stick ya finger in the soil if it's moist don't water if it;s dry give it a bit.

peace

c

overwatering would be my first inkling of whats going wrong aswell , your plant will get to a stage where it needs to be watered daily but that is definatly not when it is 10 cm's tall , your issue is likely that your roots are rotted away and in turn the plant has eventually been effected, at that size it's effectivly a death sentance , older plants can recoup provided they still have a partial healthy root system to feed them. Really you simply have to go by the feel of the soil because they don't need much water at that young of an age however they may drink over 4 liters of water on a hot summers day.

fortunatly it's far from too late to call it a lost season so go to bunnings and get some potting mix and or get some manure , perlite and mabey some stones for the bottom of the pot , mixing this in with your current soil or the putting mix will make things a whole lot better for your babies in the way of drainage and providing a natural food source for when they start to need it .

Also avoid keeping it on that tin roof as frazzle mentioned there are quite a few problems that can come about from doing that.

and the last step to ensure a successfull grow this year is to keep us posted with a diary so we can help allong the way :D