Bud Life?

How long can weed be kept in a baggy for before it becomes stale and unsmokable?

As long as the buds have not been exposed to light and have been kept in a cool (under 30C), dry place, they will keep approximately forever.

If the old buds have dried out and gotten too crispy, they'll smoke harshly. Put a tsp (apx 5ml) of water (no more) on a paper towel and nest it in the buds in a plastic bag for a day or so. Buds will be nice and springy and smokable again in 12-24 hours.

IMHO storing buds in plastic bags is not the greatest as they sweat and mold is a problem.

i prefer to keep it in a tupperwear container or a coffee jar. Always keep them in a dark place too.

Also adding a fresh fan leaf will help rewet the buds if they dry out too much.

I've experienced mold issues when the buds have spent longer than a month in a plastic bag but stored properly you could assume that they will be fine for months.

Jimbo :toke:

How long can weed be kept in a baggy for before it becomes stale and unsmokable?

Not sure about a bag but I once smoked gear that would have been nearly 10 years old that was stored in a glass jar. Yes it still had an effect although it was quite a sleepy stone. Also made hash from some buds I had forgotten about that was in a brown paper bag for well over two years and it was fantastic.

In sealed glass jars stored in the dark it should last ages.

Also adding a fresh fan leaf will help rewet the buds if they dry out too much.

Cheers Jimbo, I hadn't thought of that. Good to know fan leaves have a purpose.

buds will keep good for years if stored right, the only down side to leaving buds stored for so long is that some of the active chemicals that we love convert into less potent forms over time :toke: dont quote me on this, but i think thc converts to thc-v which makes the stone less intense, more body dominate, etc. and from my experience with old buds that holds true and they also made me really tired after each cone :flex: spose that could be good for medicinal patients, but for us drug users, fresh herb is the way to go :toke:

It degrades to cbd, thc-v is a variant form of thc that is only present in certain cultivars. The effect is described as more psychotropic, or trippy than normal thc dominant cultivars.

The longer weed is stored, the less thc acid will remain as it is slowly degraded. The best storage probably occurs in air-tight, cold conditions, (below 10c) with no light. That said, any cool, dark and dry place with light excluded is good enough for most peoples storage needs.

Light is the main thing in degradation, though temperature and air moisture content has an effect too. Longer you store the smoother the smoke, but the more lethargic and heavy the stone becomes.

Those old style mustard jars are the way to go, though they can be hard to find nowadays. They have a cork in the top and are sealed clay jars. Coffee jars are fine, just make sure you check the contents perhaps once a month to ensure all is well and keep in a cool dark place.