Add or not to add perlite to potting mix.

Hi all

Many people have been telling me to add perlite to my potting mix but just recently I have been told its not a good idea.

Here is what they said they said:

“All composts are made to have as near as possible correct air and water holding capacity, adding things that make it drain faster and hold more air mess it up big time for plants like cannabis and it reduces the fertiliser reserves, ie makes it weaker. Cannabis is a greedy plant that likes plenty of food and does best in compost that has good water retention, in fact once in final pots the addition of water holding crystals can be a big advantage, especially when its hot in the summer, thats the absolute opposite from adding perlite..”

This is from knowledgeable grower with a great reputation. Anyone got any rebuttal?

I am trying to plan my next potting mix. I am going to use Dynamic Lifter brand potting mix but with or without perlite?

Interesting flonmofo .. I dont believe adding or not adding perlite will be a big factor in end result , i dont think there's any hard and fast rules ... main thing is starting with a high quality potting mix and you have already made a good choice , cause every grow is unique and everyone may have different methods and opinions that suit themselves ... so why not do both .. some with, and some without then you will know 1st hand ...

but hey i dont grow in soil in pots nowadays so ... :thumbsup: , i used to add vermiculite or perlite to try and keep the soil from packing down to tight , dunno if it really made a big differece though ..

best o luck :peace:

"All composts are made to have as near as possible correct air and water holding capacity, adding things that make it drain faster and hold more air mess it up big time for plants like cannabis and it reduces the fertiliser reserves, ie makes it weaker. Cannabis is a greedy plant that likes plenty of food and does best in compost that has good water retention, in fact once in final pots the addition of water holding crystals can be a big advantage, especially when its hot in the summer, thats the absolute opposite from adding perlite.."

This is from knowledgeable grower with a great reputation. Anyone got any rebuttal?

I am trying to plan my next potting mix. I am going to use Dynamic Lifter brand potting mix but with or without perlite?

:thumbsup: Hi flonmofo, Cannabis is a greedy plant but as far as a medium with good water retention is concerned, cannabis does best when its roots are in a well oxygenated humid environment, which is why it loves airoponics. Commercial potting mixes are ok but they can definatly be improved on imo. Apart from boosting the nutrienst they hold ( in pots even the best mix only has about 3 months food ) One way is to add perlite. This increases the drainage of the medium and makes lots of nice humid air pockets for the roots, you need to water more often but every time you do fresh oxygen will be drawn into the soil for the plants to use. Cannabis loves alot of water but in well drained soil. Water crystals are a good idea if you can't guarentee regular watering, they hold the water in themselves, they don't make the soil wet. Wet or oxygen starved roots will reduce the true potential of any cannabis plant from my exp. If it is too wet it kills them very quickly. As far as the comment "it reduces the fertiliser reserves", use a bigger pot :peace:

lol Peace MongyMan

Interesting flonmofo .. I dont believe adding or not adding perlite will be a big factor in end result , i dont think there's any hard and fast rules ... main thing is starting with a high quality potting mix and you have already made a good choice , cause every grow is unique and everyone may have different methods and opinions that suit themselves ... so why not do both .. some with, and some without then you will know 1st hand ...

but hey i dont grow in soil in pots nowadays so ... :thumbsup: , i used to add vermiculite or perlite to try and keep the soil from packing down to tight , dunno if it really made a big differece though ..

best o luck :peace:

thanks mate.

I am a bit over paranoid about my soil, i royaly screwed up with it last time. I should do ok with the Dynamic Lifter gear, it has a good rep.

lol Hi flonmofo, Cannabis is a greedy plant but as far as a medium with good water retention is concerned, cannabis does best when its roots are in a well oxygenated humid environment, which is why it loves airoponics. Commercial potting mixes are ok but they can definatly be improved on imo. Apart from boosting the nutrienst they hold ( in pots even the best mix only has about 3 months food ) One way is to add perlite. This increases the drainage of the medium and makes lots of nice humid air pockets for the roots, you need to water more often but every time you do fresh oxygen will be drawn into the soil for the plants to use. Cannabis loves alot of water but in well drained soil. Water crystals are a good idea if you can't guarentee regular watering, they hold the water in themselves, they don't make the soil wet. Wet or oxygen starved roots will reduce the true potential of any cannabis plant from my exp. If it is too wet it kills them very quickly. As far as the comment "it reduces the fertiliser reserves", use a bigger pot :thumbsup:

:peace: Peace MongyMan

thanks for making me more confused dude lol

heh...but really thanks for that..mind if i post it in reply to that other advice?

Cannabis roots love lots of air for fast growth,just look at cannabis grown in coco coir,The roots go absolutely ape shit.

I dunno anyone who grows the plants in pure compost and almost all potting mixes have bark in them to help with drainage and air.Cannabis is a greedy plant but they can have too much.

Cannabis plants dont like over watering and will wilt ,which stunts growth.

It all depend really if u are gonna be able to water your plants regulary.

Saying that i wouldnt use perlite outside due to the sun evaporating alotta water , but i would use coco in my mix due to its huge water/nutrient retention and great airation.

if i where u id buy a bag of coco and mix that in with ya potting mix. It will give u better water retention and airate the roots nicely while also holding nutes,perlite is more an indoor thing imo.

If ya got any questions about coco fire away :thumbsup:

Cannabis roots love lots of air for fast growth,just look at cannabis grown in coco coir,The roots go absolutely ape shit.

I dunno anyone who grows the plants in pure compost and almost all potting mixes have bark in them to help with drainage and air.Cannabis is a greedy plant but they can have too much.

Cannabis plants dont like over watering and will wilt ,which stunts growth.

It all depend really if u are gonna be able to water your plants regulary.

Saying that i wouldnt use perlite outside due to the sun evaporating alotta water , but i would use coco in my mix due to its huge water/nutrient retention and great airation.

if i where u id buy a bag of coco and mix that in with ya potting mix. It will give u better water retention and airate the roots nicely while also holding nutes,perlite is more an indoor thing imo.

If ya got any questions about coco fire away :thumbsup:

thanks mate...I am definatly considering coco...

so adding coco to potting mix goes ok?

Mind if i also add your speal to the thread on the other site?

Nice avatar by the way....only a surfer knows the feelin :peace:

watch this space for some serious rebuttel....these other guys are down on perlite, big time.

:peace: The most important thing with any medium is the air ( oxygen to be exact ) around the roots imo flonmofo. Lots of growers use different soils and mediums round the world and get good results if they remember this one thing. It can be a fine line between perfect and too dry from my exp. but once you get it right, you wont grow better plants. Wet roots will fuck a crop even if everything else is spot on.

:thumbsup: Peace MongyMan