Buying first bong

I decided it was time to buy a bong, buckets aren't my thing anymore, and these home made bongs are just annoying, so i decided i want to get a decent bong.

so i went and had a look at a head shop or what ever they're called. at first it was cool there was like a wall dedicated to bongs and i was just browsing through them..

then it became hard :punk:

They have a glass one that looks like a standard bong (pyrex) but it was plain and simple, and they had some neat looking ceramic bongs too, and i think about 3 that looked like they were made out of some sort of bamboo.

now the question i have is, is there any negative or positives between glass and ceramic, would the ceramic be harder to clean, i'm kinda thinking the glass one because i like seeing the smoke.

and are properly made bongs more smoother than the gay powerade bottle i have at the moment. because i've never smoked out of a decent bong :)

First things first, imo yes glass is smoother, easy to clean with cleaning agent from the headshop or rubbing alcohol and salt!

I smoked out of metal ceramic everything ovet the last couple years ive been a toker and i have to say that glass is the smoothest by far. and its much nicer to look at!

dont get a ceramic bong unless you want it for show, they are great to use and all, but its impossible to get grossed out by the bong water colour as you cant see it so it can go unchanged for days, even weeks on end, you cant see the smoke rising through the bong and i remember reading somewhere that metho cracks ceramic bongs so the rice and metho cleaning option isnt available :) im not sure about the metho and cracks to be honest, i have only noticed hairline cracks that dont leak water, but the same bong has been dropped, kicked, one time even drop kicked :)

i would also stay away from multiple chamber bongs unless you are a patient person because they can take ages to clean properly :) if you are patient on the other hand, they are a great investment and will give you a smooth smoke pretty much every time :)

i personally recommend getting a glass bong about 20cm to 25cm tall, imo they give the best air/smoke ratio, its much easier to suck all the smoke out of the bong and not only can you watch the smoke plume through the bong, you can watch the cone get pulled with lots of detail as it is close to your face :punk:

best advice i can give you though is to try the bongs out before buying them. make sure they are easy to grip, the mouth piece fits snugly around your mouth, etc. i have bought a few bongs in the past without trying them out and all but 1 time it has come back to be a waste of money :)

get a simple bong like the two above and maybe get one of those small second chambers that attachs to the bong for extra smoothness, also get something good to clean the bong with and a brush from the baby bottles aisle at the supermarket to help clean it. dont risk trying to clean it with hot water and something not meant for cleaning a bong, you will just smash it and it sucks cause once its smashed theres nothing you can do to fix it, except for go back to the old powerade bottle. oh yeah, glass over ceramic.

I have one like pictured by MongyMan has. Good bong, can fill top with crushed ice for special occasions.

My fav bong - One my friend owns, has had for over 10 yrs.

Looks like my bong but the vent hole is upfront/beside the cone and the neck is skinnier. That bong gives bloody good hits. I think its due to the vent being on the cone side and not the neck (as most bongs currently are - Why?). when relesing the vent the smoke in the chamber immediatley empties. Mine (the one with hole in neck) takes a good hard toke to clean out chamber as the fresh air gets sucked from neck/bypassing chamber.

Hope it made sense. I've been to most of the bong shops here and none have ones like i want.

Hope this ramble made sense. PS if you do comeacross one like i want give me a yell Ta

Sam

Edit - Also drop in cones are good, I have one for every occasion - The young, I can smoke an Ounce guy gets a big cone with crap in it. :), On to it guys get a nice tight cone.

Edited by Samjana