Heavy duty timer boxes.

I currently run timers and powerboards and it works fine, im not saying it doesnt at all, i run 3000w+ because i have 2 x 20amp lines running into my growroom.

im just sick of having two or three timers running all of my lights. would be nice to be able to plug em all into one safe timer that has them turn off and on at the same exact time and safely. thats all im after. i run 1kw MH 2 x 6oow HPS and 2 x 400w HPS. so something that would handle 5-6 lights. eventually would like to add another 600w - 1kw of power so may even need two or a proper board made up by a sparkie.

Edited by ff069

yeah i reckon these are great idea.. the only thing is.. if you get the 40 amp one.. make sure the power run can handle it... just because this is rated at 40amps.. most normal house hold wiring is 2.5 and will only handle 30 amps.. MAX.. even 30 is pushing it

so.. if youre room has say a 6mm power run.. then for sure get the 40amp one.. other wise stick with the 16...

even still... with the 16 amp running more than 2 lights youll probably still have to stagger the on times buy 10mins.. so the main 2.5 run wont melt..

so yeah these are good idea... the timer will never fuck up.. they are good quality.. and the whole thing is well worth the money hes asking.. you couldnt make it for cheaper..

hes obviously a sparky and can get that shit cheap..:D

even still i would probably only use one per light... so you can stagger the on times.. unless of course you have a 6mm power run to the grow room on its own circuit.. then of course it will handle lights in most of those plugs...:D

I made myself one of the units he is selling, out of bits I had lying around here, a second hand contactor, with a cheap timer, and a 4in1 powerboard, been using it for about 5 years on and off without a problem.

Made another one recently to do a post on and I think I paid around 50 bucks for a 25amp single pole contactor, not your normal looking 3phase contactor, which I reckon could actually be had cheaper around sale time at the wholesalers, plus $7 for an el cheapo timer and $5 for a power board.

tn_gallery_12684_402_24278.jpg

I'm OK with individual consumer grade timers for lighting; if one breaks, it's cheap to replace, easy as a trip to Bunnings. Cheap enough to keep a few spares. I have many timers just loafing, running low current devices like water pumps.

Staggering lighting ontime is an easy way to reduce load peaks, but I built my panel to handle simultaneous startup currents anyway, with 10ga to the bkr box and in between 4 ceramic HD outlets built on the panel. My 1000s pull about 8.5A for a few secs until the arc strikes, then settle back to about 4.6A.

The $235 thing from Ebay is WAY overpriced... and is a real sloppy bit of work, to boot. I counted about $70-80 worth of parts, tops. The rubber gasket sealed box it's built in isn't a bad thing but a bit of overkill... and is defeated by any other entry points on the unit which don't also have a rubber seal. I mean, grow rooms can occasionally be humid, but gear doesn't need to be all that waterproof.

hey,

I cant really see that much detail in those pictures but they look alot like the old flip flop boxes... I am guessing those boxes needed to be hardwired anyway because there is no way you can run 3800-4000 watts through plug and play.. the power point you would plug into is only rated to 10 amp 2400 watts anyway and the house breaker would possibly be a 15-30 amp. So im guessing the only reason the plug comes out of the box is to plug in for earth and to operate the timer from house power not to actually power the box.... :D