Heavy duty timer boxes.

Hi guys,

Ive seen these heavy duty timer boxes around the traps and was wonderin if anyone actually uses them in there grow room. They look great and was interested in getting one until i saw the price. They look like the sorta thing, with the riught guidance, that you could build yourself. Anyone every built used or seen plans/blueprints for these timers please leave your feedback as i may end up just buying one if ic ant find a cheaper alternative.

post-7731-1182867550_thumb.jpg

post-7731-1182867562_thumb.jpg

Dude go bunnings and you can get 10 amp timers for under 15 bucks.......just use multiple!!! bloody simple

OR hook up the timer to multiple relays (as this dude has done) and theoretically you can get unlimited current as long as you dont overload each individual relay.

I reakon you could EASILY make that box for under 100 bucks plus it looks badly made!!!

cheers

chris

ffc, you'd have to get a sparkie to wire that for you, its all 240v.

So by the time you add up the parts - adaptable box, lead + 3 pin plug, cb, 4 gpos, contactor, timer, wire

...and the sparkies labour, they seem only slightly high with the ebay price imo.

Careful with the electrickery :D

When running more than 3 lights it's advisable, If only for the safety factor. Powerboards with multiple timers from *shudder* bunnings running all over the place...

This timer won't provide any more wattage than you can already draw from your circuit powerpoint though. For more than that (usually 10amps) you have to hardwire. A 16amp timer will not supply 4000w @ 240v. It's 3840w.

If that second link was really a 40amp unit would have to be hardwired. Not a plug in jobbie. If they mean it's got 40amp contactors for the timer that's a different matter, but it will not supply 40amps to your growroom unless you hook it up to a 40amp power supply, and it would have to be capable of running that. I doubt it could quite frankly. Household power from the plug circuit? No way. Just not physically there. Has to be hooked up to a source that can supply that much. The fuse would just pop as soon as you tried it over the rating.

This particular one seems dodgy. It's not able to do what it claims if it plugs into the wall, and @ that price it's ridiculous. I've never seen one comparable come even close to that price, and they've all looked a heck of a lot more substantial and individually switched (and not corded) sockets. I'd avoid that one and pretty much anything else they're selling....

These timers, (the 4 outlet 2400w ones) are worth it if you want some piece of mind when using large wattage levels, but with some resposible powerboarding you could get away with a few (good) digital timers. If I had more than 2 600w lights I'd seriously consider it. You get what you pay for, like so much in capitalism.

To double up on timers you would have to have them fire at exactly the same instant for both on and off :D

The money really just buys you peice of mind.

:D I wouldnt mind doing a little test project making a safe easy to use ellcheapo heavey duty controller

IDEA: To make a basic DIY heavey duty Controller that is controlled by a standard ellcheapo timer that will outlast even 2 of the nastiest 1000W ballasts out there at once

Get just a basic $10 timer

Get a proper 240V 40A relay Suited to the task (Advice needed :D SRA2540N 40A Solid state relay 240v input $47.08 Each as just a suggestion)

Get proper casing and connections and ($40 and no skimping aloud here)

What i was thinking was a twin system with the relay being on one side as the main light switch and the timer being pluged in to the other to provide the relay with just a control open/close function thus the week contacts of the cheapo timer would just have to switch the small load needed for switching the relay on and off.

:) Ahh wait up that is one of them $150+ controllers hehehehe :)

Problems needed to be addressed

Isolation: item must be professionally secure and enclosed

Components: must be able to be ordered online descreetly

Price: under $100

B) if this is a bit wierd of an idea let me know but I feel that with the very few connections and ease of testing during the construction process could make this a DIY dream for all capable growers

(SAFETY IS A MUST OFC)